Print Thread
#316761 05/23/07 11:00 PM
E
elle Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
E
This week's article is on writing dialogue.

Have you ever found yourself tongue-tied in real life, and just wished you could be as eloquent as a character in a book?

Characters often need to be clearer speakers in order to carry part of the story along with their words, or give the reader some information in a more subtle manner than exposition.

Elle Carter Neal
BellaOnline Alumna
Sponsored Post Advertisement
K
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
K
What a great article! This is definitely something that I struggle with. Your tips and suggestions make perfect sense!

E
elle Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
E
Thanks! Glad you found it useful smile

Elle Carter Neal
BellaOnline Alumna
J
Koala
Koala
J
Thanks for the great article. I find writing good dialogue is hard to do. When I started out as a feature reporter at a small newspaper my editor told me ONLY use "he said" "she said" and for newspapers don't try and spice it up.

I hadn't thought of that for fiction writing but it makes sense not to be jarring or even annoying to the reader.

Joan

Last edited by joanj; 05/25/07 09:12 AM.
E
elle Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
E
One of the hardest things to learn as a writer is that simple and clear writing is usually the most effective writing. It's very tempting to show off your wide vocabulary and your flair for description - but many writers forget that the reader's imagination is involved in fiction too. Sometimes "less" really is "more".

Elle Carter Neal
BellaOnline Alumna
V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
I too thought it was a very useful article and years ago when I was writing a story and let someone read it, he told me to add something to "he said" or "she said" because it sounds like a third grader is writing it. He told to write things like, he said with anger in his voice or she replied with a quizzical look on her face.

So, taking that advice as gospel, whenever I wrote dialogue after that, I never simply used he said or she said without adding some kind of descriptive voice with it.

Thank you for the article.

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
E
elle Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
E
Thanks Amadeus. Your point reminds me of part of an article that's coming up on writing simply. (edit: that article is here. )

In very many cases you can rewrite the dialog to make the speech itself convey the anger or the confusion, or whatever. It's far more effective than "telling" the reader the character is angry. I've also read a few manuscripts where the writer has repeated himself, like: "I'm furious with you," the man said angrily.

Last edited by elleCreatEd; 05/31/07 04:14 AM.

Elle Carter Neal
BellaOnline Alumna
V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
I just read your article on simplicity, Elle and that is how I try to write my stuff. I try to keep it as simple as possible. I want to write for people to enjoy and get lost in it. I have read many books where you have to re-read a sentence or two to try and understand what the author is saying and if you do that and have to think about it, it takes the flow out of reading. That is why one of my favorite authors is John Grisham. It takes two or three chapters to get into the book, but once you are there, he keeps you hooked. It is hard to put down and when you finish it, you want to start another one right away.

However, I digress.

I guess my biggest problem in writing is not whether I am keeping it simple, I guess my biggest problem is mixing past tense in with present tense. That is what I have been told by people who read my stuff. They cannot really pinpoint it but when they read something, some tell me that it just doesn't sound right. However, once they get into it and see how my writing is, they have also told me that it "keeps their attention" and "its a real page turner" and that is what I want.

Another problem I have is re-reading or proof reading my own stuff. I am my own worst critic and if I start reading something, I usually have to change stuff. A lot of stuff. More times than not, I have scrapped the whole thing and started over.

One time I hand wrote a 500 page novel and trashed it when I was done because I didn't like it. I don't remember why but I just didn't like it.

Who knows? Maybe deep down inside I am afraid to finish a novel. Has anyone heard of anything like that? Is it normal to be your own worst critic? Do I need to seek a therapist? lol. Seroiusly, though, is there anyone else who is afraid to read their own stuff for fear of not liking it even after you have been told that it is really good?

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
E
elle Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
E
Yes, many people are afraid to finish a novel - because what comes afterwards usually looks like a big void. You've raised some interesting questions Amadeus, I will have to plan some articles on proofreading and self-critiquing.

I haven't seen the present/past tense mixing very often, but I think the reason is that when we tell someone about something that has happened to us, we tend to use the present tense, but past tense is most popular for writing novels. Have you tried to stick to present tense for any of your work? Perhaps it will be easier for you - it's a little unusual but not unknown, and some literary writers use present tense instead of past tense.

Elle Carter Neal
BellaOnline Alumna

Moderated by  Val FictionWrit/RomanceBk 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.