Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
lala21 Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
L
Does anyone here have a hard time getting up in the morning no matter how many hours sleep you get?

I've had this problem for most of my life. I just can't seem to get up early enough to have something to eat and enjoy my morning. I'm always grumpy when I first wake up frown I just want to wake up and WANT to start my day in a good mood!! I generally give myself 15-20 minutes to get up dressed and ready for work. I would like to get up 1 - 2 hours before work and have something to eat, have a shower, maybe play on the computer or read the paper, but I just can't get myself outta bed! lol Once Im awake Im fine, it's just the initial waking up part that I hate. I love sleeping and I dread getting up because it's soooo comfortable and relaxing lol. When I was in highschool I used to give myself an hour to get up, shower etc before school. But for the last 4 years I give myself a very tight scheduel in the morning. I've tried putting my alarm across the room so I have to get up to turn it off, but I just go straight back into bed. I don't know what else to do. I've tried thinking of it as "getting up for the day" rather than "gotta get ready for work"... but that doesn't seem to work. And because my job is very active and I tend to work up a sweat at work, I generally have a shower in the evenings before bed rather than in the morning like I used to. But I would rather shower in the morning because it's a great way to wake up and I always feel so refreshed after... I don't know what I can do differently?!

Last edited by lala21; 05/27/07 02:39 AM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
H
Koala
Koala
H
I've been wanting to get up earlier too, and because i have a lot of sleep difficulty (nightmares), i'm having trouble feeling bouncy in the morning. It's strange... you'd think i'd want to get out of bed, but somehow it doesn't work that way. I only hate getting into it.

I can only tell you what i'm considering doing... one is, to get additional alarm clocks, setting the nearest one at 7, the one across the room at 7:02, etc. I know it sounds a little dumb and i'm not sure it will work yet. A different possibility would be to find one of those clocks that increases volume gradually.

Another thing i thought of is i have dark curtains on my windows to block out the morning light, and i thought of switching them to lighter white ones that don't so that morning sleep is less comfortable. I think the brightness might help me wake better.

But i think the biggest thing is as you said... having something in particular to look forward to.

I wonder if changing what we eat at night would help?

L
lala21 Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
L
I don't know.. it's very interesting. I've never had a hard time getting to sleep and I can sleep through any noise/light... very deep sleeper. Most of the time I don't even know that my alarm went off and I turn it off in my sleep. But lately, I've had a hard time falling asleep unless I'm listening to some relaxing music, then I'm out pretty quickly. I think my recent sleeping difficulties stem from stress, but that's a whole other topic!

I know my eating habits aren't the greatest right now, so I wonder if changing them completely, and not just as night would help. Are there certain foods that help people sleep well, or other foods that ruin sleep?

For me it doesn't matter if I go to bed at 8, 9, 10, 11 or midnight, I still end up dragging myself outta bed because I have to go to work. But on my days off I sleep in and whenever I wake up I'm in a great mood! Somtimes I sleep in only 1 -2 hours later than the days I work, and other days off I'll sleep in to lunch time. Could this be my job that I don't want to get up for? Because I don't seem to have this problem on my days off...

H
Koala
Koala
H
yeah, it could be.

as far as food goes, turkey, tuna, bananas, garlic and milk are all known for aiding a person to fall asleep (please don't eat them together laugh ). I don't know about staying asleep though, but i would bet glycemic index would affect it. Exercise also is known for improving sleep. For me, i find milk or carbs help me to fall asleep.

And here is something that maybe we should do... neither of us goes to bed and rises at the same time every day, do we? Your sleeping in on the weekend made me think of this. I bet if we kept REGULAR habits and went to bed at exactly the same time every night, it would be easier to sleep the same hours and rise at the same time... then if we wanted, we could move it back so we're going to sleep earlier and rising earlier. What do you think?

L
lala21 Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
L
You know, that could work! It does make sense to keep everything balanced. I am definitely going to try that. I think I might try going to bed at 10 and getting up at 6 oohh but getting up at 6 when I dont have to work!! ugh thats no good lol... yes it is!... because then I can accomplish more in my day! (positive thinking!!!) This is going to be a challange! eek

Speaking of sleep, I think it's about that time! Actually Im 2 1/2 hours late!!!

Last edited by lala21; 05/27/07 03:29 AM.
Amoeba
Amoeba
Originally Posted By: lala21
I think my recent sleeping difficulties stem from stress, but that's a whole other topic!

Or maybe it's the main topic.

Originally Posted By: lala21
But on my days off I sleep in and whenever I wake up I'm in a great mood! Somtimes I sleep in only 1 -2 hours later than the days I work, and other days off I'll sleep in to lunch time. Could this be my job that I don't want to get up for? Because I don't seem to have this problem on my days off...

Sounds very much like the problem here is unhappiness/ dissatisfaction with your job. You don't say what the stress is but if it is work related then it could be that there's your answer. If it isn't work related then maybe work is just the final straw.

Maybe if you identify the causes of the stress and manage to deal with that a bit then getting out of bed won't seem nearly as depressing.

The other tips from hollyelise, a well balanced diet and some exercise, should also help to raise your mood generally.

All the best,

Chik

H
Koala
Koala
H
laugh hi Chik, glad you joined us.

Okay, Lala, i'm going to try it too... everybody, you're hearing it now laugh.... my bed time is going to be midnight, EST. If you see me online after that, you're welcome to shake your finger at me! And i'll get up at 8... and then roll it back when i get on track with that. (hahahha)

I actually love the early mornings... i love getting up with the sun so i see more of it, and i prefer walking in the early morning rather than the evening. It's cool, then, and when i walk on the Rail-to-Trail i have it all to myself! smile And then i usually have time to have a "civilized breakfast"... coffee and whatever on my porch with a good book... before i have to be anywhere. smile

L
lala21 Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
L
Good stuff Holly!

I decided 10:30 (pacific) is good for me, and up at 6:30. I work at 8am Wed-Fri and 9am Sat/Sun so 630am gives me just over an hour, where as normally I would give myself time to get dressed etc I normally go to bed between 11 and 12:30 and get up around 720 and leave the house at 740. It's still a good 8 hours sleep but I don't allow myself that time in the morning so I hope this works!

Yay for us!! Good luck Holly smile

Last edited by lala21; 05/27/07 09:03 PM.
H
Koala
Koala
H
I'm not going for my ideal times yet, i think that might make it harder to do. So i'm going to try to go with a median of what i'm doing now but try to make it regular and then inch my way back to earlier.

Good luck, Lala! Sweet dreams!

Shark
Shark
Some of us are night people. And some of us are morning people. When I get up in the morning I don't want anyone to talk to me or look at me for at least 15 minutes. I sit and veg. Lots of fresh air in the evening and going to bed earlier helps me the most. But it's not my nature, I have to have a reason to be outside for hours. The alarm clock across the room and everything ready for the am are my only saviors.

I have a bunch of coworkers taking sleeping rx, they like them. But it's true, if you don't like your job it's really hard to get out of bed in the morning. If you like your job, it's a lot easier.

I love three day weekends, and wish they all were!! Good luck everyone. I need to go to bed earlier, always. But it's nice to know I'm not alone with my alarm clock across the room thing!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  JOY (Self Development) 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.