Print Thread
#316188 05/22/07 02:43 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Hello!
Maybe somebody here can help me with the description for this edging:

4.--Lace Edging in Tatting.

Materials: Messrs. Walter Evans and Co.'s crochet cotton No. 10, or tatting cotton No. 20; tatting-pin No. 3; any sized shuttle. For a finer edging, No. 18.
Lace Edging

1st oval: Fill the shuttle, but do not cut it off from the reel, as a double thread is required, and commence by working 10 double stitches, 1 purl, 10 double stitches, draw up.

2nd oval: Close to last oval, work 10 double, 1 purl, 10 double; draw up.

Double thread: Putting the thread attached to the reel round the left [5] hand, work 12 double, 1 purl, 4 double; then join the shuttle-thread to the purl in 2nd oval, by drawing it through with a pin. Then do another similar chain of stitches with the double thread, viz., 4 double, 1 purl, 12 double.

3rd oval: 10 double, join to the purl in 2nd oval--the same as that to which the shuttle-thread has been fastened--10 double; draw up.

4th oval: Close to last oval, work 10 double, join to purl of 1st oval, 10 double, draw up.

The pattern is now complete. Repeat from beginning, taking care that the next oval be close to the last. Crochet a heading with the same cotton, working 4 chain, 1 double into the purl of double thread, 6 chain, 1 double into the next purl. Repeat.

I'm from Germany and have some difficulties with the description and so some words are not familiar to me.

especially "Double Thread" ... is it a special type of thread or do i Use 2 threads on 1 Shuttle???
please help me

best wishes
Philomela

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Philomela #316481 05/23/07 09:53 AM
Hi Philomela,
This must be an old pattern because it mentioned the use of a 'tatting pin'. I was asking what a tatting pin in my earlier posts and received lots of helpful replies on it. I now know that a 'tatting pin' is equivalent to what is now called a 'picot gauge'

Without referring to a picture of the edging, I think the 'double thread' may mean the thread from the ball. A 'purl' may be a picot and a 'double' is talking about a double-stitch. An 'oval' could be referring to a ring.

Like I said, a picture would certainly help because I am curious to see the heading that is crocheted.

Beverly may be able to give a better explanation and please correct me if there are any mistakes in my assumptions.

Jon - in Malaysia
Philomela #318215 05/30/07 02:52 AM
B
B
Hi Philomela,
I've had a quick look at the lace edging as well as the photograph. You should be able to manage it quite easily. The purls are picots, ovals are rings. The double thread means that you fill a shuttle and leave it attached to the ball thread. Often called the CTM or continuous thread method. Then you just tat in the normal way using the shuttle and its thread to make the rings, and the shuttle and ball thread to make the chains. The heading is then just ordinary crochet chain.

I'm off on my holidays to China for the next few weeks but will take a download of the pattern with me to try out.

Regards, Buzby

Philomela #318459 05/31/07 02:24 AM
B
B
Philomela,

Just a quick note added to my reply to your query about the tatted edging, purls, ovals and purl pin.

If you go into the Gutenberg project (check the spelling) and download Beeton's Book of Needlework from your nearest page, you will see a very good illustration of a purl pin as well as descriptions of ovals etc. Your pattern is not illustrated, the previous pattern is, but you will be able to see the crochet heading on other edgings.

I've tried your pattern and it is very pretty, but you must remember not to reverse the work when working the rings, only reverse the work when working the chains. There are very similar edgings in many tatting books.

Regards

Philomela #333821 08/10/07 11:51 PM
L
L
I wonder if you were able to understand the pattern. When I saw your post it intrigued me so I tried the pattern. when you finish you have a pattern that may look like this:

---------
|O) 0 = rings of 10-10 )= Chs of 12-4-4-12
edge--> |O)
|O)
|0)
|

The chains join in between the rings and causes the tatting to look like a bow. I have a picture I drew in paint that is way better but this is the best I can do here with the resources available.

I am certain that you have figured it out by now. I just stumbled on this message today. Happy tatting!

Leeanne

jon yusoff #334473 08/17/07 11:15 AM
T
Amoeba
Amoeba
T
Faizon,

First, please let me apologize for not being in the forum recently. I've had to make an unexpected move and am just now getting set back up.

You are correct, in your translations, from what I've gathered of early patterns. The double thread, though, may mean thread from the ball (meaning it has two ends and both are worked from) or it could possibly mean that you actually use a double core thread. Some tatting patterns do this to have a 'thicker' stitch. In many patterns I find this a wonderful twist. I like the fullness, especially when I'm working on something like a bedspread, flowers for embellishments and something that I might want to be just a bit heavier.

A purl is most assuredly a picot. So far, the only thing I've seen an 'oval' to possibly refer to is a circle. This could be that most circles were usually done with an oval look, such as a flower petal, a leaf, shapes of animals, etc.

You have done a wonderful job in my absence. I thank you so very much. It's a true comfort to know that there are others willing to step up to the plate to help out their fellow tatters.

Beverly Elrod
Tatting
leeanne #334474 08/17/07 11:21 AM
T
Amoeba
Amoeba
T
Leeanne,

I'd love to see your picture in paint. I use paint (along with a lot of other editing programs) for my photography and I'm always interested to see what others have done with the paint program.

If you go to the main tatting page, you will see where you can send me an email.

Beverly Elrod
Tatting
Buzby #334475 08/17/07 11:24 AM
T
Amoeba
Amoeba
T
Buzby,

I must thank you, also, for your labor over the love of tatting and coming through so elaborately with your description and sources.

I just don't know what I'd do without you gals, who've done such a splendid job, coming up with the information you have to help out other tatters.

Thank you so very much

Beverly Elrod
Tatting

Moderated by  Georgia, AK Tatter 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.