Originally Posted By: Married for Life
I can't comment on the counselling you received as you describe it from your perception whereas your husband may have a different perception. However regarding your husband thinking you were hiding something he was right. Surely if you have issues with your marriage that cause you to write them down then these are serious enough for you to address them with your husband. Hiding them away on paper and not working through them together will never solve anything. Maybe that was what the counsellor was trying to facilitate, initiate a dialogue between you both that would get to the issues you had hidden away on paper and avoided addressing. If you don't address them together and keep bottling them away the danger is you will explosively react in the future and that will be destructive in your marriage. Try to find the right time to talk things over with your husband. Use a counsellor if you feel that would be helpful, or if you think you can address the issues together without loosing control and verbally attacking each other then do it alone together.

For a writer, writing down thoughts to get you in the frame of mind to discuss your issues is a very theraputic and goal-setting tactic. I suppose we should then burn the paper? Perhaps, but I think that privacy among couples should be respected, they are individuals. Sometimes you need to put all your thoughts down on paper to gain some clarity. Things sound terrible in your head, but on paper downright silly. And not meant for the other to read.

Also, I have to add, that your therapist sounds very biased. Just remember that you don't know what your husband tells the therapist in solo sessions and if the therapist seems to be focusing on specific issues, maybe thats what your husband has focused on in the past?

Good luck

Dez