logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Lala, that is a wonderful story of inspiration! I substitute teach and that is the kind of teacher that I try to be to my students. I know that I only get to be with them on a part time basis, but I let them know that I am there for them if they have problems at school, with friends, at home or in life. I have seen students grow so much from the beginning of high school until graduation, and they come up to me, as a sub. and tell me about their lives. (Even when I see them outside of school).

Hearing stories like yours is why I work in our HS even though I have retired. I want to continue to make a difference. Your story is a GREAT INSPIRATION to me and other teachers and subs that students DO really appreciate their teachers. Thank you!!

Trish

Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
lala21 Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
L
And it's wonderful for students to be able to have a wonderful teacher like that. There was only one other teacher who was really great - also in grade 11 and 12.. he wasn't AS involved but he knew I was having troubles and was very understanding. They both were my support system when I had nothing else. If it wasn't for them, I don't think I would have graduated on time.

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Oh, you must have made them so proud!! How lucky to have teachers like that. I had a few in high school, too, and they really were great mentors. I will always remember their classes, their teaching styles, and what set them apart. It sure is wonderful to have adults to look up to when you are a teenager! wink My teachers inspired me to go into teaching.

Trish

Wolf
Wolf
Trish,

can we use some methods like that on this forum to inspre others?

E
Koala
Koala
E
I had some really good teachers in high school too. One maths teacher was known for being really strict, but fair - I only got a chance to be in her class for one term but she managed to teach us 3 terms worth of work in one because our other teacher couldn't seem to get the concepts across to us (and also wasn't strict/tough/strong enough to handle our class). The replacement teacher won our respect in a few minutes by telling us that she had actually failed maths one year in high school, so she knew how hard it was for us - and she knew what to do to help us understand it.

My other good teachers I remember for how passionate they were about their respective subjects - they passed that enthusiasm on to us and made it interesting.

Elle Carter Neal
BellaOnline Alumna
elle #323581 06/20/07 12:04 AM
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
QUOTE by CDMohatta:
"Trish,

can we use some methods like that on this forum to inspre others? "

CDM, I think we certainly can. Are you thinking of these kinds of methods we would use to help inspire others?

1) know the subject and how to make it interesting, relevant and fun 2) be a caring and enthusiastic teacher 3) be very understanding and very encouraging 4) be a great mentor who love the job and love to help

elle #323585 06/20/07 12:54 AM
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Elle, isn't it interesting how a strict teacher (but fair) can not only teach more to a class but also get those to actually like the class and remember the subject and teacher better than a slacker teacher can? It's amazing to me how many students really seek out the "hard", strict teachers because they have more interesting classes and more well behaved classes. Of course there are always those students that try to pick the easy teachers to get the easy "A"s. wink

Your caricature of Kurt Vonnegut was pretty cute! He definitely has (had) interesting features. The fact that he died from a head injuries in a fall, reminds me of the Baltimore Cardinal Keeler who was in a fatal car accident last October, 2006 in Italy. He suffered a broken ankle but has had an umsteady gait since then. They discovered he had fluid on his brain and had to insert a tube into his brain yesterday to relieve the pressure. He is 76 and is doing well, reports say.

Trish

Wolf
Wolf
Originally Posted By: babyquacker
QUOTE by CDMohatta:
"Trish,

can we use some methods like that on this forum to inspre others? "

CDM, I think we certainly can. Are you thinking of these kinds of methods we would use to help inspire others?

1) know the subject and how to make it interesting, relevant and fun 2) be a caring and enthusiastic teacher 3) be very understanding and very encouraging 4) be a great mentor who love the job and love to help

Yes. We can help some people. You can.

E
Koala
Koala
E
I'm glad you liked my caricature - thanks Trish!

Yes, the strong, no-nonsense teachers were far more effective, and I think, in the end, were better liked and more respected and appreciated than the "buddy" teachers and the "wishy-washy, use my class as a free period" teachers.

Elle Carter Neal
BellaOnline Alumna
elle #323603 06/20/07 02:30 AM
Wolf
Wolf
Elle, you are correct. Those who have brains and are clear about their job are strong teachers.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jana - Creativity Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.