logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
Must see...

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
H
Koala
Koala
H
It doesn't surprise me. I have heard that a woman is twice as likely to be raped at a party where there is drinking, than at one where there is no drinking. Also, according to Violenceagainst Women, Bureau of Justice Statistics, U.S. Dept. of Justice, in 45% of rapists in America were under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Unfortunately, alcohol use is still quite a problem in indigenous communities (reservations), so it doesn't surprise me that it also has a high incidence of rape and physical abuse.

The same thing happened in Ohio and other places more than a hundred years ago, until the temperance movement greatly reduced alcohol use in communities. Prior to and just following the Civil War, alcohol use became so extreme that society was falling apart. Little work was getting done, violence towards women was up and children were going hungry because adults were too drunk to care for them or work. We look back at the temperance movement today almost like it was a joke... but it was no joke at the time. The temperance movement was started by women who were tired of being beaten by their husbands, and wanted food for their children. They weren't moralizing, they were simply desperate. More information about this is available in the program, Ohio: 200 Years, produced by pbs.org

Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
Ah, this may be true, but it's WHITE MEN who are coming into the reservations and committing these horrific crimes--at least the ones on the Indian Reservations on the Mainland. Not sure about Alaska...

There's almost no law enforcement and they know they probably won't be prosecuted...The rural area doesn't help either.

Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
P.S. I hear that there was a murder of a woman on a reservation by white men and it took a WHOLE DAY for tribal police to show up. They say it's common to have 5 or 6 police officers for an entire reservation...

Did you get a chance to listen to the story?

Last edited by JanZeiger; 05/01/07 12:51 PM.
H
Koala
Koala
H
I apologise for making the assumption that the rapists were within the community.

No, i have not heard the audiofile... i read the text but did not have time to listen to the program. I will try to find time soon.

Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
No problem. When you get a chance, it's definitely worth a listen. I heard it on the radio while driving home the other day and found it online to forward.

Moderated by  Barbara - Women's Issues 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.