logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
Does anyone have a good suggestion for a Persian/Farsi to English (and vice versa) dictionary for a beginner or language learner? I'm working on an article on resources for learning Persian / Farsi and I've found a lot of good resources for everything except a dictionary. Plus a good dictionary would really help with the word of the week feature in my newsletter.

Thanks,

Julie

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Elephant
Elephant
have you tried babel fish or any other translation services?

also, try amazon for a dictionary or search online with google

J. Ruel - Gay Lesbian News Editor

Check out the latest article on the Gay Lesbian SITE or Join us in the FORUM

Questions? Comments? Story Ideas? SUBMIT THEM HERE

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
Well, there are a number of dictionaries out there, but I know from experience with foreign languages I actually know more than a few words of, that if you don't have a good dictionary, you end up with things like "rotate correct" when you want "turn right." Or you can't even find the words you want. And popularity is not necessarily a good sign. For instance, the most popular Hebrew-English/English-Hebrew dictionaries are horrible, but they are small and relatively cheap, so everyone has one, if nothing else for when they don't want to drag their large good dictionary along (or because it is all they can afford.) I don't know enough Persian to be able to tell, but a lot of Arabic dictionaries use roots, not the words as you see them, which requires a knowlege of grammer I'll probably never gain in Persian.

Most of the usual online translation sites don't support Persian - wonder if that is a cause or a symptom of the current lack of understanding between the US and Iran?

Julie

Gecko
Gecko
Julie
Babylon has good dictionary Persian/Farsi to English and inverse but you must write in Farsi words or see result in this way
BellaOnline ALERT: For anti-spam reasons, we restrict the number of URLs allowed in a given post. You have exceeded our maximum number of URLs.

Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
Babak -

Thanks for the suggestions. Babylon looks like a good start, and I'll have to look at the other ones some more.

You'll have to tell me how I did when I publish my article on basic Farsi phrases in a couple of weeks... I found some really good resources, but I'm surprised that there isn't more. You'd think more English-speakers would want to learn... Then again, I'm surprised that more Americans aren't interested in learning foreign languages!

Julie

Gecko
Gecko
Julie
I guess for Americans, learning foreign language isn't vital but for us learning English is so useful. English language open a wide area for me when I travel to abroad, communicate with foreign experts and read articles about my work and also see satellite TVs and movies, and could connect to such attractive site and see other culture and opinions.
I agree with you that learning another language is so useful for you (American) either.

Persian words got from Arabic with 4 more words, P, CH, J (in French) and G (as gear). In pronunciation no any difference between T and Tah, Z and Zat and so on. Iranian pronounce some words different from Arabs.
I heard that in some part of US you can find Persian classroom but guess mostly in California.
Still don't get how much you like to know Persian language but in any way you like it's my honor to be at your service.

Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
Babak -

I think I mentioned before I'm trying to learn Arabic because there is so much Arabic literature and culure I'd like to read untranslated. I'm not Muslim, but I'd like to read the Koran in Arabic, because I think it is an important book and you can't really understand it unless you read it in the original language. I really think learning languages is very useful in understanding people.

But my primary interest in learning / learning about Persian is that the article that gets the most traffic on the Middle Eastern Culture site most months is one on basic words and phrases in Persian by a former editor. There's not much there - 8 phrases, but I'm supposed to overwrite it with my own content. I've actually got my version almost completed. But at any rate, I'm surprised by the interest, but if people are coming to me looking for information on the Persian language, I think it's important that they find it.

Actually, I'd probably really enjoy being able to read Persian, I really like Persian art, so it's likely that I'd enjoy being able to read untranslated literature. Arabic is enough of a challenge for me at the moment.

Julie

Gecko
Gecko
Julie
Yeah Arabic is more useful I think, I'm interest to learn Arabic too and when want to read Koran more follow its Arabic word and think could better understanding in this way hence think you chose best way.

Last edited by babak; 04/30/07 04:16 AM.

Moderated by  Rachel - Middle East 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.