logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
Recently I was asked what I thought about a marriage where the wife worked but the husband simply had no interest in a job outside of part-time or sporadic work.

Please note the husband is not a stay-at-home dad.

Believe it or not this is a modern problem with more women than ever being the sole support of the household.

I would be interested in what you think.

Last edited by kristen houghton; 04/20/07 07:23 PM.

"Allow your dreams to become your plans."

Kristen

Kristen Houghton
Author and Relationship Writer
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
Sponsored Post Advertisement
H
Shark
Shark
H
Personally I dont think its an issue.Wouold people even think twice if the roles were reversed?

L
Gecko
Gecko
L
Personally I think the husband and the wife should both be working full time. Except in situations such as, stay at home parenting (husband or wife), one of them attending school, disability etc. If the husband OR the wife just didn't want to work without a valid reason I would consider that laziness! Now I don't think that the husband has to make more money than the wife, nor does the wife have to make more than the husband but contributing equally through effort is important. That's one thing I love about my marriage.

Both of us work full time and there were times where I made a bit more than him and now he makes more than me. I don't care where he works, and he doesn't care where I work as long as we are both putting the same amount of effort into it we are both happy. I could care less if he chose to work at McDonalds as long as he's working. And not just a job, we both equally share work around the house as well. It's about keeping it equal!

Why should one work harder than the other just because the other doesn't want to work? That's not fair, in my opinion.

Now if the husband (or wife) is working a few part time jobs instead of just ONE fulltime job, that's okay to me. Some people like variety and get bored at their job, or do it for the experience.

Last edited by lala21; 04/21/07 02:11 AM.
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
The husband doesn't want to work...at all. He only works sporadically if he wants something.

Kristen

Kristen Houghton
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
Shark
Shark
Kristen, why is this a problem? Is the couple not in agreement on this?

Shark
Shark
Lala, are you including those who have many activities at home in your assessment of laziness?

L
Gecko
Gecko
L
What type of activities at home?

Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
Whe the couple married both worked. Within a few years the husband lost his job.He then bought into a franchise but wasn't willing to put the effort needed into it to make it work. He went bankrupt on that.

Since then he has gone from one job to another without staying more than a year at any.He buys very nice things for himself and goes golfing a great deal.

She is a teacher who makes fairly decent money but not enough to make ends meet. Talking doesn't help nor does the idea she might leave. He doesn't fight, just ignores her.

More and more in my relationship coaching, I am receiving e-mails from professional women in the same predicament.

Kristen

Kristen Houghton
I
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
I
He sounds like my ex husband. He worked occasionally (free-lance) but was not the least bit ambitious. I was the main bread winner and he didn't know how lucky he was. He wouldn't do so much as wash a dish or mow the lawn when I was at work. I would get home from a long, hard day at work and have all the household chores waiting for me. I finally had had enough when he stopped speaking to me for two months because he was upset about a dinner I'd made. I'd been handling all the work, but I couldn't handle living with someone who wouldn't speak to me.

I got a little off topic... Anyway, I don't think a marriage where the husband doesn't work will last, unless an arrangement has been made by the husband and the wife and they both agree to it. I think most people want a partner, someone who will do their part in the relationship, whether it's by working outside the home or staying home with the children. I doubt any woman wants a husband who behaves like a spoiled, irresponsible teenager.

It took me quite a while to "escape" from that marriage. Even though she doesn't want to leave, I think it's possible she will get fed up with being ignored. It is so difficult to leave, even when the marriage is bad. She has a good job and will be able to take care of herself, so that is in her favor. Are there any children?

Last edited by iluvsummer; 04/21/07 05:37 PM.
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
Two children and her mother takes care of them when they're not in school. The mother (grandmother) works part-time and taking care of the children is a burden.

I love your online name 'iluvsummer' so do I! I'm a July baby and a California girl.

I believe this woman should leave too.

Kristen

Kristen Houghton
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.