Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
Happy April Everyone!

This month's book club title is Daily Life in Ancient and Modern Istanbul

You can read my review and find ordering information here.

More detailed general information about the book club and future titles are here.

Please, feel free to join in the discussion, whether or not you've read the book!

Julie

(edited to fix typos)

Last edited by Julie_MidEastCulture; 04/02/07 01:05 AM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
First questions:

What did you find most interesting about the book?
What did you find most surprising?

Last edited by Julie_MidEastCulture; 04/02/07 01:13 AM.
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
I think the art was the most interesting part of the book. I really liked being able to look at the art and read about the time and events pictured. I generally find that kind of context to be more interesting than things like what was going on in the artist's life or where the artist studied.

I was most surprised to learn how strongly connected Istanbul is to the Middle East and Asia. I usually think of Turkey and Istanbul as more European. This is likely because, as the book mentioned, they have made a specific effort to strengthen the ties between Turkey and Istanbul and Europe.

Julie

Last edited by Julie_MidEastCulture; 04/02/07 01:12 AM.
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
Does reading about Istanbul make you more or less interested in going there on vacation?

Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
For myself, Turkey wasn't very high on my list of places I would like to visit. The more I learn about Turkey and Istanbul, the more interesting I find the idea of visiting.

Elephant
Elephant
I would love to visit turkey, but as a gay man that is too dangerous for me.

J. Ruel - Gay Lesbian News Editor

Check out the latest article on the Gay Lesbian SITE or Join us in the FORUM

Questions? Comments? Story Ideas? SUBMIT THEM HERE

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
Sometimes I wish I could be more like my sister, who has pretty much decided that she's going to travel where she wants to travel and just does it. She goes places I'd never go and has a great a time...

Julie

Gecko
Gecko
I haven't seen Istanbul so far although seen Turkey two times with my family. I heard Istanbul is a crowdy city. Seems Istanbul had great history, before Ottoman Empire most of people west of Turkey were Greek I think. I love ancient and historical places but care of crowdy cities, even unwilling to see Tehran whereas we have a lot of family there.

Jase, I think Turkey is safe for you; people there are respectful with tourists. Just care to show your attitude in public places obviously I guess. You will find there fantastic atmosphere. In beaches and cities like Antalya, Marmaries, you will find a lot of European tourist. Just if they find your nationality, maybe encounter with some disrespectful behaviors.

Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
I don't like big cities much either, but you miss so much amazing culture if you avoid them. I try to keep my visits to big cities short. I went to Mexico City on vacation several years ago and only stayed 3 days. I'd love to go back and see more, but 3 days was about the max I could take of such a big city.

I'm actually starting to feel that Portland is too big for me and thinking about moving somewhere smaller.

Julie

Moderated by  Rachel - Middle East 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.