Next Thread
Print Thread
#290285 01/31/07 11:32 PM
N
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
N
Are there any 'boring' baby names you'd never consider giving your children because they're just too tame (in your opinion)?

Maybe...
Anne, Emma, Jill, Mary, Sue?
Allan, Ed, John, Mark, Steve?

If you do think of certain names as being 'boring,' what makes them boring to you -- simplicity? overuse?

Last edited by Nancy R Callahan; 01/31/07 11:33 PM.

Baby Name Blogger & Editor
Sponsored Post Advertisement
N
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
N
Well, to answer my own question (and to get things rolling!), Anne and John are names I could never use--either as first or as middle names.

Why? Two reasons -- they're common, and they're short. I just tend to prefer names that aren't as well known and that have 2 or 3 syllables.

(Unfortunately, Anne and John are both are also family names for me, so taking these two out of the running makes it that much harder to incorporate family names into the mix...)

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Names that are too overused lose their spark for me for sure.
Their are names I simply don't like, they just don't appeal to me. I would never name a child Ed or Tom or Joan to name a few. They are fine names, but just don't appeal to me personally.
I used to adore extremely unusual names, but now I have gone to liking traditional names (that aren't overused).

#308816 04/22/07 04:53 PM
N
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
N
Originally Posted By: pinkhighlighter
I used to adore extremely unusual names, but now I have gone to liking traditional names (that aren't overused).

How funny -- I've gone through this exact sort of perspective-shift. smile

I used to love totally off-the-wall names, but now I realize I liked them not because they were good names, but because they were novelties.

My current tastes are a lot like yours -- I like names that are established, but not very popular.

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
There are names that I would not give my children, not because I find them boring but because they hold bad memories for me. They might remind me of someone's name or a name that was made fun of in school.

Tom, Dick, Harry, Peter

An interesting observation that I've found is that certain names set up children for certain behavior, successes, failures, popularity, even sports and educational abilites.

Michael was an archangel - but was a militant ...many Michaels are a little devilish

Kyle is a very studious name and most Kyles make good grades and very successful. Look at Kyle on the TV show, "Are you smarter than a 5th grader?" Most adults pick him every show. wink

Well, those are a couple of examples. I named one son Jonathan, meaning "the fair one". He is definitely fair, balanced, good student, self sufficient, independent. Most Jonathans I know are much the same.

Just my observations. It is funny how our childhood influences our ideas as adults. smile

Trish

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.