Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#305509 04/06/07 11:15 AM
A
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
A
First of all, I would like to extend to all my Christian friends my best wishes for a Happy and Holy Easter. May it be filled with many blessings for you all.

I have just watched the Mel Gibson film 'The Passion of Christ' on the TV.

I would like to ask Christians for their opinions on it. It moved me very deeply, but I am not a Christain and would be interested to know what Christians thought of the film.

With all good thoughts,

Ann.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I am not Christian either. I was deeply moved by this film especially the end where he was beaten and then walked to Calvary Hill.

I do have a question about the scene in the movie that my Christian parents and my uncle who is a pastor can not answer. After he is beaten in the court yard, Mary and Mary Magdelean are seen wiping the blood off of the courtyard floor with what look like sheets. Does anyone know the significance of this? Or was it for the movie only?

Jeanette Stingley - Women's Lit
http://womenslit.bellaonline.com
V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
I don't know of the signifigance either other than they were just trying to clean His blood from the courtyard. I wasn't able to ask my pastor about it yet. If I find something different, I will let you know.

Follow this link to see a powerful song put with the scenes from the Passion to make an even more powerful video.

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
Wolf
Wolf
Originally Posted By: anndidetal
First of all, I would like to extend to all my Christian friends my best wishes for a Happy and Holy Easter. May it be filled with many blessings for you all.

I have just watched the Mel Gibson film 'The Passion of Christ' on the TV.

I would like to ask Christians for their opinions on it. It moved me very deeply, but I am not a Christain and would be interested to know what Christians thought of the film.

With all good thoughts,

Ann.

jesus suffered. But he forgave.

V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
That is why Jesus suffered, CD. Just so He could forgive. He suffered for us and our sins.

The movie touched me like no other movie about Jesus ever did.

It had to be that graphic so people could see, according to the scriptures, exactly what Jesus went through for you and for me. I cry everytime I watch that movie and then I thank Jesus for what He has done for me and I also thank Him because if I was the only man on earth, He would've went through thew same thing for me.

CD, if you respond to this post again, follow this link to see the scenes from the Passion put to music from Carman called "This Blood". It is very powerful.

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
A
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
A
I tried to play the video but it would not work for me. (the fault of my very slow connection I think)

Perhaps the reason why they cleaned up his blood was because it was precious to them, as the blood of our loved ones would be. It would be terrible to just leave it there. I think the Jewish religion placed great importance on blood.(but I could be mistaken)

I found some scenes puzzling, like the one where the 'creature' -which I presumed to represent Satan, was carrying a demon child. Who did the child represent?

As I said, I am not a Christian, and I believe that Jesus (I liked the way they called him by his Hebrew name - Yeshua) suffered terribly, but I also believe that HE believed he was suffering for the whole world. He entered Jerusalem that last time with that purpose.

To me, he was a great Master and a prophet, but not God. I have no belief in a personal God. I tend more to Pantheism. But I love Jesus as a person. He brought a message of love which the world still has to learn. He is the perfect example.

Ann.

Wolf
Wolf
Hello friend,

Jesus was God. One day you will get that revelation and you will be amazed. I believed like you but when I saw, I believed.

The problem is -- Jesus has been discussed so thoroughly in the western society that peoiple have forotten his essence.

Church being equated with Jesus was another major blunder.

I go to no church or temple or any such place.
I talk to him in my heart and get guidance and answers. With some answers I am amazed.

I will add-

Even those who do not believe that Jesus was God, are blessed if they have compassion for the earth and for those who live on that. You have that friend, and you are blessed.

V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
While it is true that you do not need to go to a church building to be with God, it is good to go and get the word from a bible believing pastor and for the fellowship of other Christians.

The church is inside you where Jesus dwells.

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
The Passion was very moving. Many things in it portrayed biblical truths very well. Mary and Mary wiping up the blood is not biblical. There are a few things in the movie that I take as poetic license.

A
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
A
Thank you everyone for your loving replies.

Bless you all.

Ann.

Wolf
Wolf
Thanks Ann.

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I am not sure why that scene stuck out in my mind. Like Lynn said, maybe it was poetic license, maybe it was because of his suffering, maybe women in those days just did that sort of things, I don't know. It was a profound moment of many in the movie for me for some reason. Thanks all for the discussion about this.

Gecko
Gecko
I didn't see this movie and personally not interested to see it too although if I can see it in my house will see some sections.
Jesus wasn't first nor last one who died for his claim.
I announce that "dislike seeing anybody harm because of me and my sin". I can't accept anybody punished instead me, beside I couldn't realize why Jesus did it for me.

Parakeet
Parakeet
First the blood wiping -- this is more of a historical rather than biblical portrayl of what occured. There is no significance biblically. What you can take from it is how much his mother was made to suffer and how brutally cruel the Romans were to the Isrealites.

The Passion of Christ is more than the cruxifiction of Jesus, it is also the story of a mother's suffering. Don't forget that Mel Gibson is Catholic and the Virgin Mother holds a very sacrid place in Catholicism.

As for is Jesus God. I could give you countless amount of historical and biblical facts to prove what you close your heart to. If you are truly interested in finding out was Jesus God there are two books I recommend.

The Jesus I never Knew by Philip Yancey
The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel

If you truly want to explore the question was Christ God these books will be a good start for you.

Here are some questions to ponder:

1) Would you brutally die a torturous death for a lie?
2) All the disciples who fled when Jesus was arrested died horrible tortureous deaths for preaching that he was the Son of God. Would cowards die painful deaths for a leader who was already dead?
3) If he is not God does his death have any meaning?
4) If he only thought he was God and went to his death due to a delusion could he really be a great Master, prophet and someone to follow? David Keresh thought he was the Son of God too.
5)

Quote:
I found some scenes puzzling, like the one where the 'creature' -which I presumed to represent Satan, was carrying a demon child. Who did the child represent?

You are right the creature is Satan. The child is a reference to Revelation, also written by John. The passages in Revelation that depict the whore of babylon and the dragon is the spiritual version of Christ's time on earth. That book is complicated and often misinterpreted so I'll leave it at that.

For those Christians who feel that the movie is an unnecessary violent portrayl of the final moments of Jesus' Life and refuse to watch it should rethink their stance. In today's world the atrocities we see on the TV whether in the news or on movies pails in comparision to what Jesus went through. Horror was a common occurance in everyday life during this time. Executions, terribly painful ones at that, were entertainment. We cannot fully comprehend what Jesus choose to endure for our sins and until we do we cannot fully appreciate our salvation.

That said I've only watched the movie once. The next day was Communion Sunday and no communion before that Sunday or since that Sunday ment so much. I finally fully understood for one emotional, spiritual, intellectual moment what it meant to eat of his body and drink of his blood. It was the most spiritual moment of my life for I finally understood what sacrifice meant.

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Originally Posted By: Carennedy
First the blood wiping -- this is more of a historical rather than biblical portrayl of what occured. There is no significance biblically. What you can take from it is how much his mother was made to suffer and how brutally cruel the Romans were to the Isrealites.

That was my thoughts as well. Those 2 women loved him so much. Blood is the life force of a person and it felt like they were trying to protect him somehow. As a mother myself with a son, I couldn't imagine the pain this woman suffered. To have to sit there and see your son like that.

Parakeet
Parakeet
Quote:
Blood is the life force of a person and it felt like they were trying to protect him somehow.

I do not think that it was a choice for the women to do this. I think it was a requirement of the family of the prisoners. The Romans would have forced the families to clean up after them to make the families suffer and to punish them for the prisoners crimes.

Family back then was different then today and the crimes of one individual condemned the whole family. Ben Hur is an example of this type of state sanctioned punishment. When his wife and child are put into prison for his accidental crime.

Parakeet
Parakeet
I just came accross an amazing site for those who are really searching for truth and want to understand Jesus & God better.

Koala
Koala
1) Would you brutally die a torturous death for a lie?

Depends on the lie!!! if it would save someone I loved then yes to make myself look good no!

2) All the disciples who fled when Jesus was arrested died horrible tortureous deaths for preaching that he was the Son of God. Would cowards die painful deaths for a leader who was already dead?

mmm I think it would depend on there nature. I dont think a coward would hold fast to a belief that would kill him or her! truth or lie!!! but a better Question would be What had the POWER to change a Coward so much so that they Willingly died for there leader?

3) If he is not God does his death have any meaning? Yes!! His life has Great meaning because He lived and set the example and showed us how to live. Jesus did not oppess about how He was born from a Virgin he talked about how to live and better yet he LIVED it!!! Jesus deflected worship from his self and reflected it to God OUR Father in heaven!

4) If he only thought he was God and went to his death due to a delusion could he really be a great Master, prophet and someone to follow? David Keresh thought he was the Son of God too.

mmm but David Keresh was not Perfect!!! David was no where near perfect!!! Jesus walk the walk and talked wisely and proved his self where David just talked loud long and stupidly!!! his walk was nonexisted so Jesus could not be delutional like David be cause he was aware of His actions and the consquentses there of!!!

oh yeah Im (freebubbles the 3rd time around!!!) BACK!!! lol I have got married and have moved and just got my computer up and going!!! so Where is everyone? this place was lively back in the day. did Bella die and I miss the funnural?

I have missed you Carennedy

Koala
Koala
I am a christian and I hated the movie!!! maybe it was because it was not in English maybe it was because my husband fell asleep in the middle!!! It just some how made a mockery out of the life and death of Jesus. it was like a freak show or for personal gain. to me there was not passion and It did not tell the whole story just a small glimpse of a Whole live and death! He overcame the grave but at the end the only thing that stuck in my mind was the violents!! I did not remember Jesus as a Savior or a Leader or even that he was a man much less God!!!

I felt cold, empty, and dry!

it was a dehuminized version of what in my mind Should have been a very personal!

I took it as a publicity stunt something just to get people in the movies house to make lots of$$$.

All in all I am Sorry I watched it! but maybe its just me

V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
See, I didn't get that all. I felt it made me realize exactly what Jesus suffered for me. People do not realize the torture and hgumiliation He suffered for us and I felt that movie brought it to light.

Mel Gibson even refused to put the extras on the DVD and the "making of" because he didn't want to humanize the movie.

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
Koala
Koala
mmm I guess I am just weird!!! I felt disconnected and detached from it!! I have always thought If I was there with Mary that it would be like watching my best friend go though this and instead i felt bad for the guy and sick that people are capable of such things but that was it!!! Like watching the news and hearing someone was killed and you didnt know the person. it makes you sad and you pray for the persons family but...in the end you forget them.

BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Quote:

Of course the disciples that ran also had Jesus come back to them. I would think this would be a powerful enough event to buck up their courage. After all - they are a small handful of people that had Jesus' divinity "proven" to them. That would be something worth becoming a martyr for.

As for the movie itself... i had of course thought about the crucifixion, but never really dwelt on it. I think I just shied away from it, because it is almost impossible to imagine that kind of horror being done to someone you love. but seeing it really hit me hard, and made me realize deeper what Jesus had done for me. He had the chance to avert it, but didn't because of us. WOW!

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
Koala
Koala
This is a Grat Answer!!!!!! cool
Of course the disciples that ran also had Jesus come back to them. I would think this would be a powerful enough event to buck up their courage. After all - they are a small handful of people that had Jesus' divinity "proven" to them. That would be something worth becoming a martyr for!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Sunnie - Bible Basics 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.