logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
OP Offline
L
I just finished a lap quilt a few days ago with no problems, machine quilting freehand with the settings as usual. Today, I started to quilt another lap quilt using Superior King Tut variegated #40 100% cotton thread in the brand new 90/14 Schmetz quilting needle, with Superior Masterpiece #50 weight 100% cotton in the bobbin. The tension is set on 5, using the darning foot, feeddogs down, as usual. The change from the previous quilt and this new one is the size of the needle and the bobbin thread weight.
Help�..I cannot quilt anymore. The top thread breaks or doesn�t catch the bobbin thread about half the time. I�ve quilted with 40 weight variegated thread before with no problems�..maybe it�s the combination of threads and needle and tension? This is my usual combination, but nothing�s working.
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Parakeet
Parakeet
If you have a different weight of bobbin thread, sometimes you need to adjust the bobbin tension. My sewing machine has a screw on the bobbin holder that adjusts the tension. Tension on your machine changes over time from wear and/or needing to be oiled.

Good Luck,
Julie

K
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
K
did you change your needle. i find with the frequent sewing needed by a quilt, that i go through needles quickly. if i don't change them, i get problems.

Kim DeLeary
Paranormal Editor
K
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
K
did you change your needle. i find with the frequent sewing needed by a quilt, that i go through needles quickly. if i don't change them, i get problems.

Kim DeLeary
Paranormal Editor
J
J
I had a machine that did the same thing! What worked for me was to get a small brush like a paintbrush (some machines come with one) and brush out the bobbin area. It is amazing how much dust and thread accummulates quickly in that area!

Jennifer Beaujon
BellaOnline Quilting Editor

Moderated by  Judie Quilting Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.