Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#301623 03/22/07 09:31 PM
Y
OP Offline
Y
Hello everyone

Has anyone ever remade a suit jacket? My husband has a nice suit jacket that is just alittle to small for him now, I have been wondering about remaking it into a vest for myself. Has anyone ever attempted this and if so could you give me ideas how to go about it? Thank-you for any suggestions.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
A
A
Hi,My name is Jack Heywood I,ve have a clothing alterations shop for the past 30 years,I have just started a teaching website for any one who is interested in altering their own clothes.Now a suit jacket into a vest.I hope you have some sewing experience,this isn 't the easiest of jobs.Now don't let me put you off,first go to a haberdashery shop and get your self a pattern,and if you don't have one get a seam ripper,the pattern will have instructions that will help you,Now with the seam ripper remove the sleeves,lining,lapels,collar and the side seams and shoulder seams.Are you now beginning to understand why it's not the easiest of jobs.Now you are ready for the pattern.That should keep you going for a while.Now if you need more help e-mail me I'm more than happy to help.Happy sewing Jack. info@sew-so-easy.com

Y
OP Offline
Y
Thank-you very much for replying. I kind of figured it would not be easy, but I know that I am good at taking garments apart, as I had to do alot of that growing up for my mom as she made clothes for all us kids from what she could selvedge from used clothing so I am quite good at that and patient. Now would a haberdashery have patterns? I did not think they would even be willing to let anyone purchase that sort of thing from them. Would a store bought pattern work alright, one for women? Oh yes I do have some sewing experience but not so much in alterations.

A
A
Hi,Good to hear that you have some sewing experiece and patient.now not to be big head but I don't need a pattern,I take it apart then have person try it on again,then with tailor chalk lightly mark what she or he wants,Remmeber I've been doing this for 30 years.Get your self down to a Haberdashery shop and ask,if they say no then try it my way,if you are going to try it my way then don't undo the shoulder or the side seam, what you now need is a tailors dummy or a friend will do!!! This will make it alot easier for you.( sound a bit like frank with all this my way )Ok let me know how you are doing,if you need more help ask JACK.PS if you want to see what Ilook like visit www.sew-so-easy.com then click on DVD preview ,Have a cross ready haha

Moderated by  Cheryl - Sewing Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.