Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
I
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
I
I'm a CF school teacher who went to an Ivy League college, and I feel an excellent role model for the girls and boys I teach. The important thing is to let children know they have choices, and that they don't have to go along with the crowd just because it's what they're "supposed" to do. They need to be empowered to make the choices that are right for them (traditional or not), and respected, not questioned, for the decisions that affect only themselves. It's what we who are on this board want as well - just that we be respected for the choices which are our right to make.

Last edited by iluvsummer; 03/20/07 07:29 PM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
jmb Offline
Shark
Shark
Originally Posted By: iluvsummer
The important thing is to let children know they have choices, and that they don't have to go along with the crowd just because it's what they're "supposed" to do. They need to be empowered to make the choices that are right for them (traditional or not), and respected, not questioned, for the decisions that affect only themselves.

Well said iluvsummer!
I wish everyone could feel that empowered and make only the choices that are right for them, and not succumb to peer pressure to be the "norm".
There is a lot of talk about peer pressure in high school: to drink, have sex, smoke, do drugs etc.
There is not as much awareness that peer pressure continues into adulthood: get married, have kids, make lots of money, buy a house, pay for your kids' college education, give up your life for your kids etc... Really, does it ever stop? Everyone is different - can't we realize that we should just let everyone decide what's right for them???

Last edited by jmb; 03/21/07 07:42 AM.
I
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
I
Thanks, jmb! You have an excellent point too about peer pressure continuing into adulthood, just with different pressures. I never thought of it that way - just thought of it as society's expectations - but it really is a very sophisticated and very pervasive form of peer pressure.

Shark
Shark
PMO, how nice of you. Snooks, I'm glad you stuck to your point with your friend. PMO may I suggest to you that I did believe that Snooks and I ended on a note of we're on different pages, and I don't believe CF and mother's will be on the same page, but I do believe they can still be friends and it's sad when friendships end because of it. And Snooks made a valid point about enlightenment. And just an FYI PMO, cloth diapers except at bed time.

Gecko
Gecko
Originally Posted By: iluvsummer
Thanks, jmb! You have an excellent point too about peer pressure continuing into adulthood, just with different pressures. I never thought of it that way - just thought of it as society's expectations - but it really is a very sophisticated and very pervasive form of peer pressure.

Yes, but! As adults (and even older kids), we develop something that psychologists like to call "ego defenses". These allow us to say "#@$% 'em. I've thought it through, and I'm going to do what I've decided is right for me, even if it's not popular".

What's odd is that some of the people we might think of as the most egotistical ("me, me, me, bling, bling, bling!") actually have very poor ego defenses. If the Queen Bee in their little myopic social group told them to jump off a bridge...they just might.

Elise

Meet CF couples and singles in your city!

Browse a list of CF Meetups on Meetup.com:

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.