Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
K
I've read that some people think that spells or incantations existed before prayer. Do you agree with this idea or do you think that prayers came first?

Which came First? Prayer or Spells?
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 03/18/07 08:49 PM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.
Last edited by Kim - Paranormal; 03/19/07 04:55 PM.

Kim DeLeary
Paranormal Editor
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Zebra
Zebra
Rather than just calling them prayers though, It might also be appropriate to call them 'incantations'.....

K
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
K
Ack, I am limited on space in the subject line and chose smaller words.

Last edited by Kim - Paranormal; 03/19/07 10:44 AM.

Kim DeLeary
Paranormal Editor
Zebra
Zebra
Oh yeh, no problem...but I think 'prayer' may seem a narrow concept in some minds, with regard to a specific deity, that kind of thing, that's all I meant......but I completely take your point.

K
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
K
i just accidently locked this topic. I'm sorry if anyone tried to participate and they could not. I have my monitor screen almost black with light colored text because it reduces the energy used by a large amount if it is black instead of white. I guess I still have some things to figure out because when I look at my little drop down menus, I can't read them very well because they are black too. so, oops, sorry.

Last edited by Kim - Paranormal; 03/19/07 11:26 AM.

Kim DeLeary
Paranormal Editor
K
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
K
Yeah, these all can be touchy subjects. Sometimes I think in these times that seem so unspiritual for many people that it can be useful to jog the mind in this general direction for some or any consideration.

Kim DeLeary
Paranormal Editor
Wolf
Wolf
Can anyone explain spells?

K
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
K
A spell is a group of words spoken that are intended to have an effect of some kind as opposed to prayer which is meant to mean communication with one's supreme entity or entities. Spell is used at this time interchangeably with incantation. If you have a word you prefer to use than spell, that's okay too.

Last edited by Kim - Paranormal; 03/22/07 08:56 AM.

Kim DeLeary
Paranormal Editor
C
Gecko
Gecko
C
I'm thinking maybe in the minds of the Ancients
'spells' and 'prayer' were the same thing....by that I mean, our ancestors spoke to a Superior Being...whether to ask for a good growing season; good harvest...healthy children...whatever they needed. I wonder if, as thinking and reasoning evolved, so did the 'labels' of their conversations with their Deity? Did I say that right? Do you know what I mean? For instance.....when I pray, I offer Tobacco to the four Directions, to the Star Nations/Grandfather Sky, Grandmother and Creator, and I offer recognition to Their powers, etc. Then the Tobacco is scattered or burned. To some that might be considered an incantation.....to me, that's giving offering and respect before asking that my prayers be heard. It's all a mystery, isn't it? Sometimes wonderful.....sometimes maddening.

Amoeba
Amoeba
I said spells, but it doesn't matter to me b/c I view them both as achieving the same ends.

BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
I agree they are basically the same. One might say my Wiccan friend is casting a "spell." I view it as his evoking a higher being to assist him, which is exactly the same as my "praying" to Grandfather the Creator. I grew up in the Southern Baptist Church. When I attended a Catholic Mass is certainly seemed like "incantations" to me. It's all about your perspective.

Which came first - spells or prayers is a bit like the chicken/egg quandary.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
Koala
Koala
I said prayer because I figure people learned to talk and other wise communicate before they thought about magical properties or object, animals and plants...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Deena - Paranormal Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.