Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#299516 03/15/07 03:17 PM
L
OP Offline
L
I have been with my fiance for nearly 2 years.I am 24 years old and he is 31 years old. We have been engaged for about 1 year and we have a 10 month old daughter. I suffer from clinical depression and I feel our relationship is not as good as it could be. He does not not show affection the way he did before the baby was born. Sometimes we go for days without even a single kiss or I tell him that I love him and I get no response or just a simple uh huh. I often talk to him to let him know what I want and how I feel- but it does no good. There are times when I ask him if the only reason he asked me to marry him, was because of the baby. How do I know that he really does love me and how can I get him to show affection and that he cares?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
N
Gecko
Gecko
N
I'm not a psychologist, but first I hope your depression is being treated properly. Second, are you able to get counseling? Much has happened in the short time you've been together. Assuming he does love you, do you think he's capable of providing the kind of relationship you want? If you can both express yourselves honestly in a "safe" invironment (counseling) it might help.

L
OP Offline
L
first off my depression is being treated, and i am in couseling but i am the only one that will go. he feels that counseling will only make things worse because of problems with a previous failed relationship. i feel he compares that relationship with our own. i also believe that he is unable to provide the relationship that i would like because he does not want to put in the effort that it deserves.

Wolf
Wolf
Originally Posted By: lilangelgurl
I have been with my fiance for nearly 2 years.I am 24 years old and he is 31 years old. We have been engaged for about 1 year and we have a 10 month old daughter. I suffer from clinical depression and I feel our relationship is not as good as it could be. He does not not show affection the way he did before the baby was born. Sometimes we go for days without even a single kiss or I tell him that I love him and I get no response or just a simple uh huh. I often talk to him to let him know what I want and how I feel- but it does no good. There are times when I ask him if the only reason he asked me to marry him, was because of the baby. How do I know that he really does love me and how can I get him to show affection and that he cares?

This is quite common after birth of a child.

N
Gecko
Gecko
N
It's really good that you're taking care of yourself. I wish I could offer more positive advice, but the man situation just doesn't sound so good. Sadly, many times we already know the answers to our own questions. He refuses to go to counseling and you don't think he's able to provide the relationship that you want. Is this acceptable to you? Would you be happier on your own?

L
OP Offline
L
There is a really good chance I would be happier on my own, just for the simple fact that it is less stress. I also think that he cannot give my the type of relationship I would like to have because no one showed him how to give and recieve love. He was never given love from his parents, his parents divorced when he was a baby and his mother was always away and he never met his dad until he was a teenager. He basically was raised by his grandmother and his mothers boyfriend. I won't give up on trying to get him to express love the way he should- I love him too much to let that happen.

N
Gecko
Gecko
N
You're taking on a very difficult job. I know people like him - never loved properly and never can, too damaged. Everyone suffers. They never get the love they deserve and neither do those they're involved with. If HE doesn't think he has a problem it will be very difficult. I wish you luck and hope it works for you.

L
OP Offline
L
I know that it will be difficult, but I am going to try my best and hopfully I can get him to understand that he has a problem. If and once he realizes it I might even be able to convince him that going to counseling is the best option. If I was going to give up on our relationship I would have done it already.

Wolf
Wolf
Does your own clinical depression contribute to this issue?

L
OP Offline
L
My depression does contribute to this. That is alot of why i am in couseling. I have been having feelings like: why does he love me when i hate myself. I tried asking him and he said that he will tell me when the time is right. i have asked this at least once a week for the last three months. i am starting to believe that there is no reason and that the only reason he is still with me is for the baby and that he is in love with the idea of being in love.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kate Relationships Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.