Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#298973 03/14/07 02:50 AM
Wolf
OP Offline
Wolf
Are you personally worried about Global warming?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
K
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
K
Yes.

Kim DeLeary
Paranormal Editor
Wolf
OP Offline
Wolf
No body else seem to be worried?

M
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
M
Well, maybe that's because we are not feeling the effects yet. When the climate becomes a lot worse, then a lot more people will start to notice.

Improve your business by outsourcing:
Discover the advantages at http://outsourcetothephilippines.wordpress.com
K
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
K
By the time we feel the effects it will probably be too late. The way it goes is that first the land is changed, then the animals and plants sicken, lose habitat and otherwise, diversity suffers, then is it we humans who feel the effects.

I am sure along the way our bodies accumulate poisons along the way and we feel negative effects, it just is not as obvious as seeing the effects of pollution on wildlife and their habitat. Being at the top of the food chain has its disadvantages. Should human habitat and diversity be lessened through global warming, what would our recourse be then?

I think that by taking actions now such as using only cold water for laundry, turning off unused lights, turning our computer monitors black, taking five minute showers, washing dishes and laundry with only full loads, recycling, turning heat down in the winter and having a warmer air conditioner setting in the summer are all simple and easy practices that are easy to do now.

Recycling, reducing, retrofitting faucets and plumbing items, repair are all things we can do that will reduce energy use. There are more R words, I can't remember just now. Alternative energy like wind, solar and hydro should also be important considerations for all homes and communities.

The clothing and textile industry is another very polluting business that uses too much energy and more recycling of clothes can help. Practically everything we do nowadays wastes energy or pollutes. We can improve things and there is enough information out there that we can all learn how to help our environment.

Last edited by Kim - Paranormal; 03/24/07 12:49 PM.

Kim DeLeary
Paranormal Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
Originally Posted By: Kim - Paranormal

I think that by taking actions now such as using only cold water for laundry, turning off unused lights, turning our computer monitors black, taking five minute showers, washing dishes and laundry with only full loads, recycling, turning heat down in the winter and having a warmer air conditioner setting in the summer are all simple and easy practices that are easy to do now.

Recycling, reducing, retrofitting faucets and plumbing items, repair are all things we can do that will reduce energy use. There are more R words, I can't remember just now. Alternative energy like wind, solar and hydro should also be important considerations for all homes and communities.

Yes, these are all easy habits that can make a difference over a lifetime and accumulated when many people do these things. However, industry (and not just textiles) is a HUGE contributor to global warming, and a difficult one for individuals to impact. WRiting letters to legislators and other government and civic leaders can help pass legislation to require industry to reduce greenhouse emissions.

Also choosing to support copmanies that are already moving in taht direction. You'd be surprised by how many are, for example Liz Caliborne supports renewable energy and other environmentally repsonsible practices.

Ultimately I think there will (there must be) a huge shift in our scoiety and how we consume thing. This does not mean returning to the "olddays" but instead a combination of old and new... Looking to nature as a model for innvoation. In fact, we can nopt live sustainably as pioneers or outdoors folk. Bathing in rivers and burning firewood are terrible for the environment. I believe we are heading towards mass urbanization (localizing environment impact ultimately lessens it), and also a reviatlistaion of local and regional communities and economies - buying locally grown and produced food and commodities.

Of coures if we wait too long therer will be a lot more suffering for it, btu I do believe ultimately humans iwll overcome even global warming, it's just a question of huw much damge will be done before we make major chagnes.

Check this out on local growing and eating:

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

K
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
K
That is a great answer. If we put it all together, we can make a difference. I think it is important for us all to feel we can do something.

Kim DeLeary
Paranormal Editor
Wolf
OP Offline
Wolf
BioAlegra ,

I appreciate your faith in the human beings.

H
Shark
Shark
H
As long as the issue of overpopulation is not addressed then global warming will worsen. there are to many people on this planet using to many resources.

The awnser is to stabilise the populations and to live a less materialistic life.Everything these days is driven by the dollar.we live in a throwaway society and we just consume everything in our path! We are our own worst enimies.

We are conned into thinking we have to have the latest and greatest of everything and everything is "updated" - even cars are disposable after a couple of years these days.

Just the energy it takes to make these things is enormous and not to mention all the [censored] in the landfills.I could go on and on about this, the goverments KNOW the truth but they will not do a god damm thing about it because they dont want to comprimise their percious ecconmy and there is NO WAY to fix global warming without comprimising the economy.

Greed will be mans downfall.Man will "self destruct" and that is the sad unavoidable truth.

Hope816 #306476 04/11/07 10:37 AM
M
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
M
However, controlling the population is a lot easier said than done. It is very difficult to do especially in developing countries. I personally think that we cannot stop the population growth unless World War III starts or some catastrophic epidemic wipes out half of the world's population.

Improve your business by outsourcing:
Discover the advantages at http://outsourcetothephilippines.wordpress.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Farjana_Environment_Ed 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.