logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#29874 07/16/04 06:29 PM
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
I just purchased a large amount of fresh millet and want to know how best to store and keep it pest free. Frig--freezer--air tight bags? It's all just in a box now.

Janet, Parrot Parront from OKLAHOMA
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Amoeba
Amoeba
I always buy my millet en masse and have never had any problems with it going bad. I keep it inside my house (a/c), so it stays dry and it is not exposed to any insects from the outdoors. I keep it in a breathable box - I go through it within about 2 months for the amount I buy. I have kept my seeds in the same way. So far, it has been good!

Living a Life Less Travelled,

Shannon McCullough, LMSW, USEF, AHA
EquiJourneys Equine-Assisted Psychotherapy
Email: skgserenity@aol.com
Webpage For My Cordon Bleu Breeding Program: www.equijourneys.com/FINCHES.html
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
I mainly want to know if the millet quality would diminish if I froze it? thanks.

Janet, Parrot Parront from OKLAHOMA
Amoeba
Amoeba
I spoke to a friend of mine who runs an exotics rescue and bird store for *TRUE* bird people. (LOL) She told me that freezing it would likely cause it to degrade and the moisture involved in freezing it would possibly lead to mold when thawed. One thing she and I discussed was if it would be okay to freeze in a vacuum-containment (you know those cool bags that allow for all the air to be vacuumed out? Maybe under those conditions it would be okay. But to be honest, I really don't know. Millet does well as long as it is stored at a temperature of around 60 to 85 degrees - and perhaps even hotter in less humid climates. I know that I have to keep everything inside because I live in Houston (also known as the ARMPIT of the US!). Extreme humidity and temperatures already in the triple digits (and with the heat index higher than ever!). Even in extremely good weather, the water content in the air would probably sprout the millet into some wild growing plant-creature! LOL - Good luck and I would love to know what you try and how it works out.

Living a Life Less Travelled,

Shannon McCullough, LMSW, USEF, AHA
EquiJourneys Equine-Assisted Psychotherapy
Email: skgserenity@aol.com
Webpage For My Cordon Bleu Breeding Program: www.equijourneys.com/FINCHES.html

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.