logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
petar Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm not a bird person, have never owned one, so bare with me here! :-)

My husband has feeders set up and is trying to attrach finchs, quite successfully. Today he spotted what he is 99% sure was a Blue-breasted Cordon Bleu Waxbill. Problem being that we don't live in Africa :-P How common are these as pets? Is it likely that it is an escaped pet? Are there any other midwestern birds that closely resemble the Blue-breasted Cordon Bleu Waxbill that he may have misidentified?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
M
Koala
Koala
M
Well - its possible that one escaped & is going to your feeder. I don't know if there are any breeders in your area or not. Unfortunately some people will decide to let a bird go (just as they might take a dog or cat to the pound) when they don't want them anymore or when they're going on vacation.

I don't know the wild birds in your area, so I can't really help you decide if he saw what he thought he saw - or if there is a bird native to there that looks much the same. Lisa in the birding forum, might be able to help you out with that part of the question.

So - the short answer to your question is "I don't know" - sorry.

Mavis
Amoeba
Amoeba
Hey - Just curious... Have ya'll seen this bird again? And where are you located (general region info - climate info)? I know that I have seen finches at times that I know are not native to the US, and one that actually has adopted the daughters of my neighbors as they feed it. We are hoping to eventually recapture it as it is quite alone and there are LOTS of cats in the neighborhood. Curious if this little finch decided to hang around your home and if it can handle your climate? I am in Houston, TX - so I know this climate is friendly to African waxbills. The bird that is around here appears to be a grass finch. Would love to know that your little blue visitor is hanging around and safe - and as long as your husband feeds it, that little bird has the biggest aviary ever! :rolling:

Living a Life Less Travelled,

Shannon McCullough, LMSW, USEF, AHA
EquiJourneys Equine-Assisted Psychotherapy
Email: skgserenity@aol.com
Webpage For My Cordon Bleu Breeding Program: www.equijourneys.com/FINCHES.html

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.