logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
Hello, Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of Gnats that are hovering around my bird's cages. I assume they are there because my two birds eat actual food....well.....fruit and such... I try everything I can to keep the food out of the bottom of the cages and remove the bowl as soon as they get through with what they want, but I guess the food is there long enough to draw the little aggravating things. I know they are aggravating to the birds because they are aggravating to me!!! The solution that I have had thus far is squishing the little buggars by slapping my hands together on them. I don't even know where they are coming from, because we never leave doors open nor windows because we have central air. ANY SUGGESTIONS?????

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Just a thought .... Did you perhaps bring any new plants into the house recently? Quite often, fungus gnats are smuggled in when you purchase a new plant (almost all the stores have them and they multiply rapidly).

If you think this might be the case, go and look closely at the surface of the soil and see if there are any teeny tiny wiggling larvae moving around. If you see any movement, BINGO, you have your answer.

They're quite easy to get rid of but you need to treat ALL the plants in the house because once they've reached the "flying" stage they travel around to uninfected plants and lay eggs in the soil. You can purchase a white powder to sprinkle on the soil of each plant and then water in. It may take several treatments ... just follow the directions on the container.

Hope this helps!

Leah

OP Offline
Thanks for replying Leah.....however, that can't be the problem, as I don't have any living plants in the house...only those fake kind that are fairly easy to take care of!! ha. ha. I just don't know... I somehow think they are linked to the fruit because they are in the kitchen sometimes also hovering around the bananas. They must be coming in the doors when we are coming and going in and out. They seem to have disappeared since I have started putting all of the fruit in the refrigerator. Who knows???? thanks for the suggestions anyway, I appreciate it.

Amoeba
Amoeba
Leah!

You have just helped me solve the problem I have been having with gnats. I could not figure out what to do that would not put toxic fumes in the air for my birds... powder in the plants is the perfect solution! Thanks so much! I hate these gnats!

Living a Life Less Travelled,

Shannon McCullough, LMSW, USEF, AHA
EquiJourneys Equine-Assisted Psychotherapy
Email: skgserenity@aol.com
Webpage For My Cordon Bleu Breeding Program: www.equijourneys.com/FINCHES.html

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.