logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#296266 03/03/07 12:15 AM
OP Offline
Ok..got a question. I know that most products dont list the sugar alcohols but I think I've got this down..

If a product lists the amount of carbs, fiber and sugar, you can pretty much figure out how many net carbs there are right? If something has 18g carbs, 8g fiber and 1g sugar...that's..1 net carb correct?

I might have this really wrong...help me out.

*It could be worse...you could be on fire*
Sponsored Post Advertisement
alletsarret #296268 03/03/07 12:17 AM
OP Offline
I think I got that wrong...some things just dont make sense. Everything should just say "net carbs"

*It could be worse...you could be on fire*
alletsarret #301652 03/23/07 12:07 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Nope, see the thing is the "sugar" category only counts simple sugars. It isn't counting all carbs that affect you. The ONLY type of carb that doesn't bother you is fiber. Fiber goes in one end and out the other. Sugar alcohols aren't really a carbohydrate - they are sort of an in-between substance. They really aren't that common in food. For the few times they're used, they're pretty much always noted on the back because the whole reason they're using them is to make diet claims and benefits.

So you always start with the total carbs, subtract fiber, and go with what is left as net carbs. So 18g carbs, 8g fiber and 1g sugar = 10g carbs that affect you. It is ONLY if you see maltitol or sorbitol or such in the ingredient list that you can think about subtracting more - and you would have to explicitly read the label or call up the company to find out how much more.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Lisa LowCarb #304043 04/01/07 01:03 AM
Don't subtract sugar alcohol while in the beginning of Atkins (induction phase). You can have some of those products later when you've lost the weight you wanted.

Andrea B.
taburl@yahoo.com
You Are What You Think.
[url=www.MySoyBox.org]www.MySoyBox.org[/url]
AndreaB #307953 04/19/07 05:29 AM
You mentioned something about not using products with sugar alcohol if you had a difficult time with them. What did you mean by that? How would I know if I do react?

This is week 4 on Atkins, still really in the induction phase because I have quite a lot to lose, but curious about the sugar alcohol issue. Also, I am getting a little bored. Any suggestions for snack creativity?

Thanks!

Believer #308006 04/19/07 09:53 AM
J
Koala
Koala
J
I've seen sugar alcohol on many South Beach and low sugar products and have wondered about it.

My husband and I are loosely following the South Beach diet and the snacks do get a little boring, especially for my husband, who takes his lunch to work every day. Mozarella sticks and such get a little old.

We got some of the cheese spreads listed in the south beach book tho and put it on crackers and celery and it's really good.

joanj #309793 04/26/07 07:55 PM
S
Amoeba
Amoeba
S
Subtract the fiber from the carbs.

Make sure you are getting enough fiber!

suthernbelle #313209 05/13/07 11:54 PM
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
There are TONS of things to eat - not just cheese! Have broccoli bites. Chunks of cucumber. Celery. Salads are delicous. Cherry tomatoes. Try a new veggie every week. You should never just fall back on cheese - while it's OK, it's not the end-all of food.

Sugar alcohols can cause stomach indigestion, I have many articles about them on lowcarb.bellaonline.com. Some people can eat a ton of sugar alcohol with no stomach issues. Others have just 2 cookies and then have to run to use the bathroom as it goes whoosh right through them. It's good to start small, so you know how your body reacts.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Lisa LowCarb #328376 07/12/07 09:03 PM
A really good crunchy snack with absolutely no carbs in it is a thing that I discovered by accident.
You spray a small Corelle plate with cooking spray and put some grated cheddar cheese on it. Kind of spread it out on the plate so that it touches, but is flat. Then microwave it until it is bubbling and alittle brown around the edges. Be careful getting it out, it's hot. Let it sit for about 30 seconds, then use a knife to pry it off the plate. Put it on a paper towel to absorb the excess grease and then ENJOY! It is like a Cheez-it without any carbs. You can use any type of cheese that you like. The pepper jack cheese is good, too.

Moderated by  Lisa LowCarb 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.