Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Tbunny #297838 03/08/07 03:28 PM
J
Koala
Koala
J
I totally agree about the relationship between Mack and Sian. She didn't seem to be in the place of attracting good looking men and didn't seem like a very attractive or likable person so why did he start talking to her and why did he continue the relationship? And to what end? If he was interested in sex, it didn't even come to that. Since all they did was bicker, I couldn't see it going anyplace.

I was wondering if he kept kind of pursuing her with the thought that he needed someone to take his dog-lol. If I'd been her, that's what I would have thought which wouldn't do much for my self-confidence.

I'd thought of the dream in relation to what happened to Mary too but one problem with that was Mary was already dead when her father "killed" her and he did it for reasons of love and protecting her so those words that Sian heard in her ear when her throat was being cut would never have been uttered by Thomas to his daughter.

The thought of the "cancer" and the dream is interesting tho.

Yes, Karyn, I'd love the link to the photos.

It's funny what you all say about the non-commercialization of the sites in England. My sister and I are planning a trip to England for both our families when my daughter graduates from college next year. My sister sent me a link about activities for kids (she has a 6 year old boy) and the activities were all about historical sites and Shakespeare and noted British authors. She said "Guess their idea of kid's entertainment is different than ours-lol"

I was an English lit major in college and loved the British authors classes and discussions so I want to see all of that type of thing! It's funny tho that in the US kids entertainment swings more toward Disneyland type places. Even Gettysburg has been commercialized. I used to always take my daughter to historical sites and on tours of great homes so she's used to more elevated fare in attractions.

Joan

Sponsored Post Advertisement
joanj #297945 03/09/07 02:57 AM
KarynJ Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
Here are the pictures...Robin Hood's Bay is included in this set as well. We were camping in nearby Fylingthorpe. There are tons of photos of the abbey, and in one, you can see the 199 steps (surprisingly enough, I didn't climb them...our group never went over that way).

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

KarynJ #297982 03/09/07 08:38 AM
J
Koala
Koala
J
Thanks so much for sending the link! It looks fantastic. I sent it to my sister too so we can make it part of our trip.

I spent 2 years in Athens, Greece and 2 years in southern Spain and everything there was photogenic too. Everywhere you look, you want to freeze it into a memorable photo.

Joan

Tbunny #298210 03/10/07 06:35 AM
R
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
R
Wow, The book is a work in progress I feel. I'm left with too many loose threads.

Saying that, it's a short book, I enjoyed it but feel let down on completing it.

The characters are dry, is it that the whole of his writing is pretty emotion-free?

An interesting read, but too short. I think it could make a great film and as a longer mystery novel with some more life-like characters could be really good. I just get the feeling I'm a fly on the wall and not at all part of the charcters - they had no colour, no irritations - too bland.

But I did read it in one sitting, so it must have kept my attention!

Ill not be rushing out to find more of his work though.

Rachel, Spanish Cult Ed
Andalucia Holidays

KarynJ Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
Rachel - This is true of his novels as well...at least the one that I read. The Crimson Petal and the White is about...800 pages, I think. And there is one character you only really get to care about, and there were tons of loose ends. It was also written in 2nd person, which is rare and interesting.

KarynJ #352415 11/05/07 01:00 PM
B
Gecko
Gecko
B
Have you read Under the Skin?

BillieCat #370664 01/29/08 04:54 AM
R
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
R
I haven't read that one, is it by the same author.

I really enjoyed reading the book knowing others were too, then hearing their comments and able to add mine.

Anybody interested in reading another?
My first choice would be Spanish based, but English would be good too. What about an ex-pat book? An English person's experience of moving/living elsewhere?

Rachel, Spanish Cult Ed
Andalucia Holidays

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Hi Rachel - might not be right culture but I'm just about to reread Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck, Vinegar Tom by Caryl Churchill, and Robert Frost poetry and would be glad to have some company/book gossip alomg. I love Garcia Lorca too!

R
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
R
Hi Siobhain,

Wow - Of mice and men, we read that at school, er 30 years ago.

It must be due a re-read, but I haven't got a copy.

I'm off to visit amazon... be back soon, maybe you've already finished? Don't wait for me if so.

Re: Lorca, I feel terrible that I've read so much about the man but not read any of his works, only bits in Spanish, best have a look at some of his books too..

Rachel, Spanish Cult Ed
Andalucia Holidays

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
That's great Rachel ! - I haven;t finished it yet - got interrupted half-way through (sorting out DS/school issues, also a new opportunity and Pancake Day here! - there's always something isnt there??)

I will start OMAM again on Thurs. - it will be interesting to share responses and see how interpretations might have changed in light of todays current affairs (recession looming, global warming,special needs etc)

After that its RS Thomas poetry!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Sarah - English Culture 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.