logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Wolf
Wolf
Originally Posted By: Craig58
I am in favor of the Death Penalty. There are certain violent crimes which are so heinous that the Death Penalty is justifiable. Besides, Life in Prison, is a death penalty. The only difference is that death is delayed by years or even decades, but death will still occur within the prison walls.
Also, the death penalty is alluded to in the Fifth amendment of the United States Constitution, "No person shall be...deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law". Therefore since life can only be deprived of someone through a due process of law the death penatly is legally and constitutionally permissable criminal penatly.

Do you think that the threat of death penalty will deter a criminal?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
P
P
As the wife of a man on Death Row, would like to make comment on some of the statements on here. Rosie, I am really sorry about the death of your son - as the mother of a 12yr-old boy myself, I couldn't imagine how you handle each day with the death of your boy, and I can really, really understand why you feel the way you do and why you can't find forgiveness. I apologise wholeheartedly if my presence on here offends you.

As to the DP, it's not the imprisonment that costs the money, but the trials and process procedures. Due Process is a myth. What's happened in my husband's case - a crime was committed, he had previous convictions (although not for anything of this magnitude) and he was around that day. Public outcry, grieving family - a quick conviction. Arraignment within two days. How do you conduct a SAFE investigation in two days? I keep reading these remarks about DNA being the wonder tool, but it's not. DNA is only as good as the people who wield the tools to use it - and it's whether you can honestly have faith in them, some of the time. In my husband's case, there is DNA under the victim's nails and there was also hair on her body, and they are not hers, or his. They checked the DNA to see if it was his and when they discovered it wasn't - dismissed it. There is none of his DNA anywhere on the body, and they don't even have a solid motive. The AG's office leaked to the media that the motive was he had been evicted - which was totally unfounded, and disproved. Then they stated it was theft - but there's no solid proof that anything is actually missing. If anything, the victim's checkbook, jewellery and purse were still with her. They don't have a murder weapon with prints on it. They have a sexual assault after death committed with a blunt instrument - but once again no DNA whatsoever, on EITHER the victim or him.

Due process in his case has entailed five trials, two reversals, three judges, two prosecutors, five defence teams. How much do you think that this has cost the taxpayer? We've had Prosecutorial Misconduct, jailhouse witnesses, statements twisted and retracted. In March this year we had trial no. 5 - and it was only at this trial that one of the defence witnesses laughingly admitted that they'd had a key, but been asked for it back the night before, and no, they couldn't remember why. Fifteen years ago, the police didn't even THINK to ask if anyone had a key - unbelievable. They didnt think to ask why an ex-con was chosen above all male family members to help break in - including the victim's brother who lived next door. They had their suspect - the facts were changed to fit. A phone call that confirmed his innocence, became two phonecalls that changed all that. A fall that explained the miniscule amount of victim's blood on his clothing - was changed to he wasn't even in the room. I'd like to say his case is the exception to the rule - sadly,123 releases from Death Row say otherwise. Nor do all these prisons have all these luxuries that people keep referring to. They may have cable TV - but they're restricted to about four channels. They get three squares a day, granted - but some of those boxes go in with 'not fit for human consumption' stamped on them. Gastric problems are pretty much part of the way of life in there. As to the DP being a deterrent, it's not. They've either assessed the risks and gone ahead anyway, or reacted in emotion and not even considered the DP. Due process is a myth with the DP, because some of it is more about career brownie points. Those victims that manage to forgive, that don't crave the DP and won't agree with a prosecutor's decision not to go for the DP - can be treated like scum by the very people who are supposed to be helping them on occasions. Until they can remove ALL the bias, inaccuracies, injustices, racism, etc - they shouldn't be using the DP.

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

P
P
"No person shall be...deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law". Therefore since life can only be deprived of someone through a due process of law the death penatly is legally and constitutionally permissable criminal penatly.

This argument has already been thrown out by Missouri Supreme Court. The State were citing this as their basis for wanting to execute a man who had claims of Innocence. Mo threw this out on the basis that although you may have received due process - if you were factually innocent = you had not actually received due process and they refuse to execute an innocent man. They overrode the Constitution. Joe Amrine is now released and working as a Paralegal.

Parakeet
Parakeet
I do not believe the death penalty prevents crime. I believe it removes criminals too heinous to keep in society. Examples, mass murderers, those who torture and kill their victims, those who rape and kill their victims, those who kill children. People like Ted Bundy, Son of Sam, Boston Strangler and Timothy McVeigh.

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Vance - Crime Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/09/24 08:32 AM
Sewing Sheer Fabrics
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/08/24 01:27 PM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/01/24 01:09 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.