logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
Koala
Koala
J
Does anyone have thoughts on how to get an agent? I completed 3 romance novels many years ago and just sent them off to publishers. got back some nice responses but "they aren't for us". At least they did respond-lol.

I wouldn't want to try the cold call approach to a publisher again but have no idea how to get an agent either.

How about writer's groups? any thoughts on whether they are helpful or not? I'm talking about groups like Romance Writers of America or Mystery WRiters of America type groups. I was part of a small writers group once and we just sat around patting each other on the back but not much real criticism.

Joan

Sponsored Post Advertisement
E
elle Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
E
You have to weigh up the benefits of membership to a group like the Romance Writers of America against the cost (time and money) of the membership. What do they offer exclusively to members? Manuscript assessments? Contract vetting? Timely industry news and information that will actually be useful to you? Reduced rates for conventions or festivals?

Make a list of pros and cons for each group you're thinking of joining, which will give you a better idea of whether it is worth it.

I'll do a series of articles on agents shortly, but the process is basically the same as submitting to publishers. Research the agents in your genre. Make a list of the ones who accept unsolicited submissions. Make a note of the authors they represent and look at those books to make sure you're not sending your work to someone who "never" considers that sort of thing (though "never say never"). Check their submission guidelines and follow them to the letter.

Elle Carter Neal
BellaOnline Alumna
#299270 03/15/07 02:14 AM
E
elle Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
E
I thought I'd bring this question into its own thread...

This week's article starts the series on agents with a look at whether you really need an agent, or whether you could be your own agent:

Do you need a literary agent?

Last edited by elleCreatEd; 03/15/07 02:21 AM.

Elle Carter Neal
BellaOnline Alumna

Moderated by  Val FictionWrit/RomanceBk 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.