Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#294927 02/25/07 07:56 PM
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
Do you have a plant that you just can't EVER get to live for you? For me it's english ivy's and just about anything blooming - except for begonias which I seem to have a knack for resurrecting from the dead (over and over again).
Whats the proverbial thorn in your side when it comes to greeny type things?

Last edited by Botanical Bella; 02/25/07 07:56 PM.

Wendy Lee
Houseplants Editor
Click here to read the story of our foster dog, Colbert.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Koala
Koala
I only had a few houseplants when we moved to where we are currently living, two of them were a beautiful prayer plant that bloomed and a sweedish ivy that also bloomed. Plants love this house as there are many windows, but both of those plants dwindled until I finally gave up. Both plants had been in the previous house for a while and so I figure that they didn't care for the move. I just purchased a new prayer plant a couple of weeks ago that looks great so far and I have a sweedish ivy again. I had been really sick for a long time and so most of my plants suffered and a few died. I had a bunch of orchids and they were the first to give up as I didn't baby them like I used to. Maybe one day I will buy a few more!

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.
~anonymous~
conniem #297181 03/06/07 09:51 AM
Koala
Koala
I also have two amaryllis that I can not get to bloom! I move them outside in the winter, give them a rest and I just potted and watered them last week. They have put leaves out and I am hoping for blooms!

~anonymous~
conniem #297294 03/06/07 05:17 PM
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
You should be good with the amaryllis Connie, I am crossing my fingers for you.
Wendy

Wendy Lee
Houseplants Editor
Koala
Koala
No blooms yet, but both have nice long leaves growing.

I have a Anthurium (flamingo plant?) that my mom gave me a couple of months ago when she was downsizing her life (from my grandfather's funeral in late 99) and a peace lily (other grandfather's funeral eary 2002) were the last of her plants (and I think that she only held on to them because of the sentimental attachment). Anyway, the anthurium looked horrible. I was afraid it was going to die and really stressed over it. My hubby was like "big deal" but he isn't sentimental at all! I cut it back and it gets fish tank water like all the other plants and yesterday it had 2 tiny red leaves (flowers?) on it. I was so happy to see that. I think it will pull through.

~anonymous~
conniem #301175 03/21/07 08:44 AM
Koala
Koala
I forgot to mention...I had a anthurium that I had killed a couple of months before mom gave me hers!

~anonymous~
conniem #303957 03/31/07 05:30 PM
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
After doing a little research I do believe that your 'red leaves' ARE new flowers coming. Maybe this anthurium likes you better than the last wink

Wendy Lee
Houseplants Editor
Koala
Koala
Mom said she had put the plant outside in the summer. Do you put your plants out for the summer? Now that it is happy I sure hate to move it!

~anonymous~
conniem #304283 04/02/07 07:24 AM
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
Back home in NH i used to leave the windows open from march til november, basically as early and as late as the cold would allow. Here in SC I could leave them out year round and lots of people here do. They sell Boston Ferns with the annuals and people by them by 2's and 4's, I thought that was just amazing. There is one apartment downtown and their entire porch is just big green plants, monstera, dracaena, you name it. It is like their own personal jungle, they don't even need window trimmings on those windows.

Wendy Lee
Houseplants Editor
Koala
Koala
Sounds beautiful! I do drag some of mine out, but there are a few I leave in the house or it seems naked!

~anonymous~
conniem #305352 04/05/07 07:05 PM
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
They left their plants out all winter...we have a wholesaler from FL and he tells us about how the nearly dead 'houseplants' he takes home and landscapes with...makes me drool just thinking of it.

Wendy Lee
Houseplants Editor
L
L
Can anyone help me with a gold capella it is called..the leaves keep fallin off and i just recently bought and potted it.

thanks,
Latisha5587

Thank you,
Latisha
latisha #312147 05/08/07 11:54 PM
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
Repotting plants can cause them to be stressed, meaning that you have introduced a new soil mix, even if it maybe the exact same type of soil you buy every single time, the minerals that used to be in it when you first potted the plant have been used by the plant so new minerals are now in its soil. It is essentially in shock. This could also be due in part to the trip home, how gentle you were in repotting it, or how un-gentle you were in repotting it, you could have over watered it trying to be a good plant parent or under watered it for the same reason.
Temperature could also be playing a role in your plants unhappiness. Perhaps your home is 5 or 10 degrees off from where you purchased it. You and I can just put on or take off another shirt, your plant cannot.

In the end, give your new plant the best living situation possible for that kind of plant and just let it rest. It surely, with good care, will come around and be just fine in a few weeks.

Good Luck =]

Last edited by Botanical Bella; 05/08/07 11:56 PM.

Wendy Lee
Houseplants Editor
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Sue - Houseplants 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.