logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#29395 10/12/03 07:20 PM
bk Offline OP
OP Offline
Today was my first visit to a BirdMart, held at the Civic Center in Glendale, Arizona. I am now home, and more depressed than happy. I was looking forward to a wonderful day, full of healthy happy birds, and what I saw was sad, to say the least.

First, on the POSITIVE side, there were some very nice cages, toys and play gyms available, at pretty reasonable prices. I was just so disheartened by some other things I saw, that I couldn't even get enthusiastic enough to buy a single thing.

One woman was selling a parrot with a missing eye. She blithely said "A little kid poked his eye out with a pencil, because he didn't like the bird." I almost burst into tears right there in public. I was really upset!!

Another woman had some CAGs sitting on TOP of a 2 cage, and the 2 was repeatedly biting their toes. The CAGs were so mournful!!! When I mentioned it, she gave me "the look" and then just turned away, leaving those poor CAGs with nowhere to go to escape that vicious beak! My son (age 32 and built like a linebacker), muttered "heartless b****" at her, and led me away from that area.

Another couple had a huge zon, in a cage so small that it's tail feathers had been cut more than two thirds off, to make it fit inside. And, NO, it wasn't breakage! You could see the straight across hack of the scissors.

I was looking at some of the gorgeous ringnecks another couple had, when a customer standing beside me pointed out to her husband that they were infested with mites. The seller clearly heard the comment and ignored it, so she knew they were and brought them in there anyway. Talk about irresponsible!

By that time I didn't even want to see the rest of the birds there. When we got home, I threw our clothes all in the hottest water possible with some antibacterial soap, sprayed our shoes, and we both took a hot shower with MORE antibacterial soap, before we would even go into the room with my birds.

Back on the positive side, after scrubbing up we went to play with our fids. Amy (one of my sun conures) did her "snuggle into mommy's neck and take a nap" and Bacall and Bogie (my other two conures) showed love with kisses and offers of food (yuck on the food offers, but hey... love is love! LOL!). Dusty (my TAG) sang his own little Dusty song and shouted "I LOOOOOOVE YOU!" at me. I admit, that helps a lot in dealing with a stressful day. But.... that is the LAST time I visit a BirdMart!!!

BK
Sponsored Post Advertisement
#29396 10/12/03 08:49 PM
M
Koala
Koala
M
We don't have bird marts in my area, but I've always wanted to go to one because of all the deals I've heard you can get on toys & supplies.

Hopefully not every bird mart has people who are like those sellers were, but I have to admit that I've heard a lot of bad things about birds sold at these marts.

I guess the best thing to do is to avoid where the birds are and just concentrate on the actual products & supplies. And always do what you did - completely strip down & wash all clothing worn there before getting anywhere near your own birds.

I'm sure glad your day ended with a good snuggle & some kisses with your own birds Jean.

Mavis

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/29/24 10:59 AM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/29/24 10:15 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:28 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:26 PM
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.