Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#290665 02/04/07 10:57 AM
KarynJ Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
I tried to do a book club last July, but nobody seemed to be interested. Perhaps summer is not the best time to do these things. So, what I would like to know is, would anyone be interested in doing a book discussion for March? We can go with my last pick - The Virgin's Lover by Philippa Gregory - or we can go with something else. I'm open to suggestions. Should we go with an English classic? Should we do Shakespeare? A.S. Byatt's Possession might be an interesting choice (and it's a wonderful book). I want to know what you think!

I would like to get this set up as soon as possible, to give people time to find the book. Not to mention, I would need time to acquire it, if I don't already have it.

If I have at least one interested person, I'll go forward with it. Tbunny - interested? Anyone else? cool

Last edited by KarynJ; 02/04/07 02:39 PM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
J
Koala
Koala
J
I would be interested in getting in on the discussion. Maybe you could come up with 2-3 choices and we could vote. I was an English Major in college and I think Shakespeare or an English classic might be hard for some to get into.

I used to read Philippa Gregory a lot but I'm not familiar with the other book you mentioned. In recent years, I've read mostly mysteries or non-fiction.

I used to love my lit classes where we discussed books and haven't had time to do a book club before.

Keep me posted.

Joan

KarynJ Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
Thanks for your input, Joan. I agree that Shakespeare or the classics might be difficult, but I thought I would throw the idea out there in case that might interest anyone. I'm perfectly happy doing contemporary fiction!

A.S. Byatt's Possession, which I mentioned in my initial post, is a bit...academic. That might pose a bit of a problem too. But I think everyone who wants to participate can handle it if they give it a careful reading.

Let me come up with some choices and I'll post a poll on here.

KarynJ Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
Okay, since I have apparently not been able to figure out how to post a poll to this thing (despite following directions), here are 3 choices I came up with. Feel free to come up with your own. I would like to make a decision on the book by February 15, in order to give everyone time to order a copy. Once we decide what title we want, I will post a Book Club page with a link to where you can purchase the book.

If you need more information about any of these titles, just feel free to look them up on amazon.com:

The 199 Steps - Michel Faber

Katherine - Anya Seton

I, Elizabeth - Rosalind Miles

Gecko
Gecko
I'm in!
I think my preference would be (although any would be fine):

1. 199 Steps (for no good reason other than Whitby on the cover)
2. I Elizabeth
3. Katherine

If we did "I Elizabeth" we could always read it, then see the movie and compare them.

KarynJ Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
And Whitby is precisely the reason why I am interested in doing 199 Steps! They were selling that book absolutely EVERYWHERE when I was there.

Of course, Bram Stoker's Dracula is inspired by Whitby too, but I don't think that's a particularly English book.

R
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
R
I'm in too, 199 steps looks good I've just read the reviews on amazon.
Waiting to hear your final choice.

Rachel, Spanish Cult Ed
Andalucia Holidays

KarynJ Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
Well, so far that seems to be the preferred title. I'll let you know in another week or so. I posted about this on my latest newsletter, so I'm hoping to get some more people involved.

Shark
Shark
I might be interested, and I'm always looking for something new to read! Can you post a link to info about 199 steps here? I found it on Amazon, but can't seem to find any reviews or info.....

I ♥ www.luxeluthor.com
KarynJ Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
Sian, tired of nightmares in which she meets a grisly end, decides she needs to get out more. Joining an archaeological dig at Whitby Abbey, she uncovers a mystery involving a long-hidden murder. Faber's novella is in turn thriller, romance, ghost story and meditation on the nature of sincerity.

Found here:
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Sarah - English Culture 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.