Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
T
Shark
Shark
T
That is challenging Christ. He claimed to be the Son of God, He claimed to be God, He claimed there was a God in heaven. He claimed there was a hell. He said all those things.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Gecko
Gecko
Quote:
THis is an issue I face with the Moderator of the Bible Basics forum...Just as LL is free to evangelise, and it's a free country, (and I fully endorse and respect her right to do so, BTW....) I have 'had words' and been mildly admonished by said moderator for coming back with discursive arguments and counter-discussion on Bible and faith veracity, as final and definitive. it has been requested that on her forum, the Bible, the existence of God, nor the sanctity of Jesus Christ be challenged, questioned or debated....

But if, as you say, 'It's a free country'... why should Christians be permitted to enter any forum and proselytise and evnagelise, on this premise, but contrarily, discussions of the questioning kind are discouraged in Bible basics fora....Would you say that this is a bit two-faced?

I'm sorry, but are you calling ME two faced? When you have your own forum within an organization such as Bella Online, you can decide what is safe and acceptable for your participants however you like. I have been extremely gracious and accepting of you in and out of my forum.

As for LL's comments in this forum, If the moderator here decides to set a boundary to protect her participants rights in this Atheist forum, then she is free to do so and everyone will respect that.

What bothers me the most is that in Bible Basics forum, you kiss up, but in other forums you deride me and my character. Which is it, Alex?

Quote:
discussions of the questioning kind are discouraged in Bible basics fora

When have you done THIS??? Usually you ENTER a discussion and blatently tell everyone (Christian or otherwise) that they are wrong and not nearly as enlightened as you are. THIS is why I asked you to tone it down. Get your facts straight before you decide to try to tear me down publically.

Jenna,
Sorry about interrupting your debate, but I felt I needed to defend myself a little here...

Last edited by BiblBasixEditor; 03/01/07 12:51 AM.

JESUS DOESN'T HOLD UP A STANDARD, HE HOLDS UP A MIRROR AND SAYS REFLECT ME!
Jenna Robinson
Bella Online Bible Basics
Zebra
Zebra
Originally Posted By: BiblBasixEditor

I'm sorry, but are you calling ME two faced?

No, I'm not calling you two-faced...not at all..I'm calling the practise of entering other fora and proselytising, but then my choice of not being confrontational which I have tried to be (but sadly failed - for which I have apologised) when i come onto the Christian Forum... two faced...
What I mean is, they can take it out of the Christian forum, and 'preach', but I can't bring it in, and argue. And that was our agreement. And i slipped up. And I'm sorry.
I wasn't calling you two-faced at all. You misunderstood the intention of the comment. or I didn't explain myself very well, more likely.

Quote:
When you have your own forum within an organization such as Bella Online, you can decide what is safe and acceptable for your participants however you like. I have been extremely gracious and accepting of you in and out of my forum.

Agreed, yes you have...
And although I don't have moderator status here, I have tried getting a discussion going in the |Buddhist forum, but nobody want s to come and play over there.... *sulk* and i still don't fully know or understand why.... frown

Quote:
What bothers me the most is that in Bible Basics forum, you kiss up, but in other forums you deride me and my character. Which is it, Alex?

I have never sought to deride your character either here or anywhere else. as I tried to explain above, the comment wasn't aimed at you, it was the situation...

Quote:
discussions of the questioning kind are discouraged in Bible basics fora

Quote:
When have you done THIS??? Usually you ENTER a discussion and blatently tell everyone (Christian or otherwise) that they are wrong and not nearly as enlightened as you are. THIS is why I asked you to tone it down. Get your facts straight before you decide to try to tear me down publically.

Where have I ever said that they are wrong, and they are not nearly as enlightened as I am? Really I promise, I have never done that...

I have issue with the existence of God?
Correct.
I have issue with the statement that Jesus is God?
Correct.
I have issued with faith being put forward as proof?
Correct.
But i have said before, and I will always say that I admire and respect those with whom I engage, for the depth and sincerity of their faith.
I would ask that they show the same courtesy for me.

is that too much to ask?

Last edited by Alexandra; 03/01/07 08:05 AM.
T
Shark
Shark
T
Let's not make this personal....on either side. IMHO.

Shark
Shark
Alexandra said, "I have had to commence a discursive thread in the Buddhist forum, on biblical content, in comparison to Buddhist teachings, and as yet, I don't think anyone has taken up the baton and run with it... "

Frankly, Alexandra, I don't think that many people are well-versed. Literacy has always been an issue and reading one book or having it read to you weekly is an easy out wink Reading the three or four Discourses of the Buddha takes a bit of time. I would be surprised if many of the debaters have even read additional books on their topic like The Unknown Sayings of Jesus or the Gnostic Bible.

I can't speak for others in the forum here, but I have read extensively many traditions. I would enjoy discussions on a variety of them, but every conversation seems to be invaded and hijacked by Christian extremists. Seeking or discussing is only allowed, it seems, if they are the center of the discussion.

Denise Lacazette
Exotic Pets Editor
E
Koala
Koala
E
At one point in my life I was very interested in reading up on all of these different ideas - all this was "on my list", (including the Koran, the Kabbalah, the Gnostics) unfortunately as far as I got with Buddhism was chatting in a pub with my Buddhist friend. I got tired. I decided no more religion/philosophy/conspiracy theory for a while. So, Alexandra, if you'd got me seven or eight years ago, you would have had a much more energetic discussion, and perhaps even an educated one, rather than you having to go over the theory each time. Maybe later. smile

Elle Carter Neal
BellaOnline Alumna
Wolf
Wolf
What made you turn into a believer?

Zebra
Zebra
Originally Posted By: texasdave7
I have read the writings of other faiths. I was a nonbeliever most of my life and I am well read. I dismiss other faiths because I know they are false.

This is great, TD! I am thrilled....
So, apart from the God question, (and goodness knows we've discussed this point) what specific teachings of Buddhism did you reject because you felt they were 'false'?

Wolf
Wolf
What is to decide if some beliefs are false? If we say that your religion is false and mine is true, does that have any understanding behind it, or only a position? Who are we to call a religion false unless we are totally acquainted with it? that may take ages. It is not that easy.

Wolf
Wolf
I believe that we can not call Christianity a false religion and same for Buddhism. All the religions need tremendous understanding.
why spread hatred and develop more fissures by calling each other false?

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.