logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Zebra
OP Offline
Zebra
Well, whilst you quietly discuss this amongst yourselves, you're going a bit off-topic here.

My original point was to ask you how you would feel if a Buddhist were to try to convince you to consider practising Buddhism instead of Christianity?
I'm not sure either of you have given me an answer to that yet...

EDIT NOTE: Too many keys, to few fingers.....!

Last edited by Alexandra; 02/09/07 07:32 AM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
T
Shark
Shark
T
I would try to convert the Buddhist to the truth of Christ. I would see it as an opportunity to lead someone to eternal life in Jesus Christ.

V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
If a Buddhist tried to convert me from Christianity to Buddhism, I would simply ask them how they can follow a 600 pound man who preached about self control?

Also, if Buddha existed, he is dead in the grave but Jesus is alive and reigning in Heaven.

As far as Christians trying to convert others, it is our job as Christians to spread the Good News about Jesus. We are all supposed to be "ministers of the gospels".

We do not have to "bible thump" to people. Christians are just supposed to talk with people when the opportunities arise. It is our job to open the door, it's God's job to walk in and convict their hearts.

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
Zebra
OP Offline
Zebra
Originally Posted By: amadeus1220
If a Buddhist tried to convert me from Christianity to Buddhism, I would simply ask them how they can follow a 600 pound man who preached about self control?

ROTFLMAO! Where did you get this little snippet of misinformation from? You are funny!
presumably you have seen too many chinese fat guy images. Just as I have seen too many images of a blue-eyed, fair-skinned western christ, and a blonde-haired lily-white virgin mary, in her mid-20's, clad in blue....when in truth, they were arab-looking dark-haired, dark-skinned and vastly different... so let's not go down that route...

Quote:
Also, if Buddha existed, he is dead in the grave but Jesus is alive and reigning in Heaven.

They're both dead. They were both human....and mortal. Oh, right, yes, the resurrection.
Very funny.

Quote:
As far as Christians trying to convert others, it is our job as Christians to spread the Good News about Jesus. We are all supposed to be "ministers of the gospels".

And at this point, I simply ask how on earth you can put your faith in an "unseen, unheard, unwitnessed, cruel, unjust and discriminating dude" that is only written about in books with no historical foundation.....Works both ways really....

Quote:
We do not have to "bible thump" to people. Christians are just supposed to talk with people when the opportunities arise. It is our job to open the door, it's God's job to walk in and convict their hearts.

In that case, have the good grace to accept that others have their views, and until the day of judgemnent, as you would have it, everything is open to conjecture and speculation, because all you have is your faith to witness, nothing else. Until then, respect my view and religion, as I sincerely respect yours. truly.

Last edited by Alexandra; 02/21/07 08:43 AM.
T
Shark
Shark
T
Christians respect people but they do not ( nor are they called to) respect all views. If you believe in anything other than Christ, you believe a lie. Whether by design or deception. That is what Christ taught. To believe something else would be unfaithfulness to God. God is intolerant of other gods. He makes that quite clear in scripture.

Zebra
OP Offline
Zebra
God can't be intolerant. That is a human attribute. God didn't write that book, by the way. 'He' doesn't make any such thing clear in the scripture.
It was written by humans purporting to pass on the message.
I think some wires got crossed at some point.
to label God as anything other than completely compassionate/unconditional/tolerant/loving would be to make him biased, prejudiced and judgemental.
In other words, Human.
It's not God that is intolerant of other gods, because that would be to suggest that he feels threatened.
It's humans who can't tolerate the thought of maybe some other religion having a point.

I would like to either keep to topic, or else just leave the discussion here.
I have never tried to convert anyone to Buddhism.
If you read the first passage, you will see just how uncomfortable it is to be assailed by another religion, when there is no reciprocal measure in place.
So all I can do as a buddhist, is to respectfully ask that you read my posts, underastand my sincerity and accept my views as being the Truth for me.
And quit with the proselytising.

I will light incense, make offerings and recite mantras for you that you may perhaps have the blinkers removed, and enjoy the diversity and richness other systems have to offer.

T
Shark
Shark
T
God is intolerant of rebellion.
God is intolerant of other gods.
God is intolerant of sin.
That is all scriptural. We are supposed to be the same.
And the Bible was written by God using men as instruments just as you use you computer to write your posts.

Zebra
OP Offline
Zebra
Hmmmm.... Not sure that stacks up, TD....

"We are supposed to be the same."

Would you really, truly be happy in a world where everyone thought said and did exactly as you do?

And If God used men as instruments, as I use my keyboard, that would imply that men are automatons with no ability to process thoughts, opinions or decisions of their own...
Surely the reason God gave Men Free Will was to precisely avoid this problem?
The discerning and cogitative mind is an extraordinary gift, when used to it's greatest potential, and one that belongs to humans alone, amongst all creatures.
I don't - cannot - believe for one moment, therefore, that God expects us all to follow in one direction, like lemmings....

Last edited by Alexandra; 02/21/07 12:05 PM.
T
Shark
Shark
T
No, men are not automotrons. God put the words on their hearts and they chose to write them but they are still God's words. This was actually quite brilliant. By God choosing to do it this way He had men who fully understood what they wrote and they became passionate ambassadors for God. If He had just handed them some magical book it would be before their eyes but not necessarily in their hearts.
When I said we are supposed to be the same I was referring to intolerance to other gods, sin, and rebellion to God. We should spiritually fight against all these things.

Zebra
OP Offline
Zebra
Ah. I see.

But if Man is succeptible to temptation, and is born with Original Sin, do you not think that maybe the interpretation of God's word may have been flawed, or tampered with?
Don't you think that these men, charged with such a heavy task of scribing God's word, cannot have been tempted to put their own slant on things?
It's quite a thing for the Human Ego, isn't it? To believe that you are God's Mouthpiece?
How do we know it's God, and not someone's over-inflated sense of self-importance speaking to us from the page, then?

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Sunnie - Bible Basics 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.