logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
How do people handle hanks of pearl cotton? Storage, getting lengths off, etc? I always seem to be untangling tangled masses, even when I open a new hank.

Julie

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Gecko
Gecko
Do you mean embroidery thread? When I could use a needle, I would wrap my colors around a paper towel cardboard and tape the ends.

Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
Hi Mary Ellen -

Pearl Cotton is a special kind of embroidery thread that can't be separated into strands. I'm starting to believe it just hates me or something because I have no problem winding hanks of knitting yarn or regular embroidery thread. Using the paper towel cardboard for wrapping is a good idea - I usually pieces of index card but I really feel like I should be recycling.

Julie

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
I actually don't have problems with it. I tend to take the paper off, then hold one end and let it untwist, so I'm left with a "circle" (as it were) of thread. Then I snip the knot holding the two ends together and roll it round a used sewing thread bobbin.

Mary-Ellen - I love your idea of the toilet role holder or paper towel holder for larger types of thread!!

I use a lot of silk, and a normal bobbin leaves it with creases in it, which is why I love used sewing thread bobbins.

Megan McConnell
Hi Julie,
I just found Bella Online - looks like an interesting place smile
If you look in the store where you buy pearl cotton, you'll see small plastic squares that you can use for wrapping the pearl cotton. They are also good for embroidery floss, although it creases the floss a bit. One skein of pearl cotton can be wrapped around each plastic square and you can label it with the color # and brand. Then look for a flat white plastic box with compartments for lining up all the cards wrapped with thread. Makes a pretty palatte for stitching!

Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
Barb -

I'm glad you've discovered us! Be sure to check out the rest of the site, not just the forums. I've noticed sometimes people have so much fun in the forums they miss everything else!

Thanks for the tip on the plastic floss holders. I do use those for floss, but they are a little small for my preference for pearl cotton.

I recently saw some photos where it looked like the person had cut the untwisted hank, resulting in pieces about 18" long and then attached the strands with a larks head to a ring. I may try that next time I have a fresh hank, because realistically, I usually cut 18" pieces anyway,

Julie

If you're going to stitch with shorter lenghts of the pearl cotton - like 18 " - cutting and tying to a ring is perfect! Needlepointers do this naturally. I just long lengths to stitch Japanese temari so don't like to cut up my threads until I know how much I need. Sometimes its a loooonnngggg piece.

It does seem as if a whole skein won't fit on the piece of plastic, but it will stay there - just looks a little fat.

Didn't know there was more to Bella than forums so I'm off to surf!

Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
Barb -

I've been loath to cut pearl cotton because occasionally I knit or crochet with it. But realistically, it might be worth buying a second hank of any given color when I need longer pieces.

I just realized you wrote the book I've been drooling over every time I go visit my mom (they have it on display at the knitting and gift store), it's beautiful!

Enjoy the rest of the site!

Julie

um - Julie, the book I wrote is not out yet. In fact, I'm doing a last edit on the page proofs this weekend. It's called Japanese Temari. Hopefully, it will be out this summer (2007).
Sorry - I was busy and didn't check back here for new messages for a while.

Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
Really? I'd swear I saw something very like the cover photo from your site at the store in my mom's town behind some Temari presented as christmas ornaments in November and December. Someone in the area is into Temari, because my mom got a couple small ones as Christmas gifts.

Maybe it was printed and they are taking pre-orders? In a tourist town any source of winter income helps... Now I want to go see what exactly I saw (though it's probably not there anymore since it's March.)

Julie

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Megan M 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.