Next Thread
Print Thread
#285698 12/26/06 02:37 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
I was reading the health blog at cnn.com this morning and came across a post by Dr. Sanjay Gupta titled "How do I get people to care about obesity?"

In his post, Dr. Gupta says, "One of my professors in medical school once told me that being overweight or obese is linked to just about every chronic disease there is out there." You know he's talking about heart disease, stroke, diabetes,arthritis, gout, etc. This list goes on and on.

So, the big question out there is this:

Are you overweight? Do you really believe that your life depends on what (and how much) your eating? What will it take to get you into action and started managing your eating and exercise?

This really is a "life" or "death" situation.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
J
Koala
Koala
J
I think you're right. It's a matter of being educated and then actually doing what you need to do. There is plenty of info on the internet and other places to help.

70% of so-called "age-related" diseases are within our control because these are due to life-style choices not genetics. Excess sugar, processed foods and fast foods are killers-it just takes a long time to die of it.

M
M
I think the majority is aware about harmful foods (like sugar, fast foods, soft drinks), exercise benefits, and other �good� and �bad� lifestyle habits.

With �junk� foods and bad habits it takes a long time to have an evident destructive effects. With healthy diet and lifestyle it takes a hole life to support your health. And probably you will never notice benefit effects: you will simply a healthy person.

J
Koala
Koala
J
I think you will also notice that you don't get sick as often and as you age you won't be on hundreds of medications as some older people are.

I think people are aware too. How could anyone not be when it's all over the news and everywhere you look? I think tho that many people just don't want to give up the foods and habits they think they can't do without. It also takes some time and education to find out how to cook and eat healthy. With families being so busy, it's hard for parents to arrive home and cook a healthy meal at the end of the day so they stop at a fast food place.

Kids love this stuff but only because they aren't exposed to anything else. If you have kids you are building their habits for their lifetime by what you expose them to as children.

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Let me start by saying that I work with obese patients and for many it is not just about being educated about how to live a healthy life style, knowing what type foods to eat etc. Many obese people are educated and know what foods and supplements are right and wrong but need much more than that to completely change their life style. Many people eat as their way to ease the pain usually caused by some type trauma that happened either as a child or as an adult. For those of us who are not obese we make it sound so easy that a person can just research and find the appropriate information and just magically change their life and prevent these diseases such as hypertension, diabetes, heart disease and more. But for some obese people they need counseling and that is not easy to obtain because for many they can not afford this type treatment. Society is very cruel to obese people, therefore some people fail to seek help for fear of judgement and ridicule. Many have been raised as being obese and taught from an early age bad eating habits and although even when they become adults and they know better it's not easy to change a life long pattern without some type outside help. Yes there are some out in the world who choose to be obese and increase their risk of severe health problems, but those are few. I think that as a whole society should be more understanding as to why some people are morbidly obese instead of just trying to fix them by saying there is no excuse for being fat when there is so much information out there to help.

Gecko
Gecko
Hmmm, I had health issues after I had my son. One of the biggest was SVT, a heart condition. It wasn't until after I started having trouble with my heart that I started gaining weight. Even eating right and working out everyday, I still gained alot of weight. No one can figure out why.

Even eating healthy and exercising do not always work.

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
If your taking any medication for your SVT's than weight gain could possibly be a side effect. Do you take any medication for this condition?

Gecko
Gecko
Originally Posted By: reyro
If your taking any medication for your SVT's than weight gain could possibly be a side effect. Do you take any medication for this condition?

Yes. I asked and the meds don't cause weight gain.

S
Amoeba
Amoeba
S
Well, being that I WAS obese (you can see pictures at my site), in my own personal situation I knew the foods I was eating were bad for me. I had all the facts on healthy eating. I did all the 'diets' and pills, but couldn't stick to any of them and would go back to eating horribly. It is much more than just changing your eating habits, especially if your 'obese', as there is a much deeper issue than food. Food is the mask for underlying problems such as self esteem, self worth, trauma, depression and many other areas. Until you understand WHY your eating and learn to identify that unconscious emotional addiction, you won't be able to change and get healthy. Sandy

Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
im an emotional eater, if i had a reason to feel good about myself i would be more motivated to lose weight, i am walking everyday just about,( on a treadmill) i don't know what im looking for in life, depression plays a big part in my weight issues, i look for ways to punish my self, i have zero self esteem, and now with walking my fat is shifting, and its not a pretty sight, some time i get so discouraged with myself.

Rosie L

Moderated by  Moss - Nutrition Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:28 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:26 PM
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.