logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#287955 01/16/07 01:42 AM
OP Offline
Can you explain this to me? I guess I dont' understand how to do the calculations. Can your 20g per day be counted with net carbs? Or is that kind of like cheating?

*It could be worse...you could be on fire*
Sponsored Post Advertisement
alletsarret #287965 01/16/07 03:13 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
20g *must* be counted with net carbs only.

The basis of low carb diets - and many other kinds of diets - is that you only care about net carbs, not all carbs. Why is that? What are net carbs?

First off, understand what carbohydrates are. Carbs are one of the four main items your body is capable of burning as energy. The other three items are fats, proteins and alcohols.

Carbs encompass a group of items that include sugars and starches. So a block of sugar is a carb. A pile of starch is a carb. A bowl of fiber is a carb.

But, as you might imagine, your body doesn't handle all carbs the same way. Let's take fiber. Your body does NOT process fiber. It doesn't burn it for energy. Fiber goes in one end and out the other end. In fact, you're supposed to eat a lot of fiber every day to help keep your digestive tract clear. It helps you have "healthy poop". It's like eating a lot of little pieces of cardboard. Your body doesn't absorb them but they go through your stomach, your intestines and out the other end, sweeping your body clean as it goes.

However, if you get a box of cereal, and it reports the "carb count" of a bowl of cereal, that includes fiber in that value. So let's say a given bowl of cereal says that it has 30g of carbs in it - but all 30g are fiber. You could eat that entire bowl and there will be NO carbs entering your blood system, going around your body, turning into fat cells. Every one of those carbs will simply go in your mouth, clean out your intestines and out the other end. It's completely healthy for you.

So that's where the concept of net carbs comes into play. Let's say you have a very fiber-rich, healthy slice of bread. The label says that it has 8g of carbs in the slice - but that 5g of that are fiber. Fiber is great for you! If you subtract the 5g of fiber from the 8g total carb value, you end up with 3g of NET carbs. That is, there are 3g of carbs that actually will go into your blood system, circulate around and maybe turn into fat eventually.

So counting only net carbs isn't "cheating" at all. They are the 100% correct way of counting how your body is affected by the carbs you eat. Really, they should never be counting fiber in with carbs - fiber should be its own category. But since it's taken the government this long to even list trans fats under fats, and have other information on the labels, it'll probably be a while before they break fiber out on its own and make the labels much more easy for people to read.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Lisa LowCarb #288122 01/17/07 12:40 AM
OP Offline
Ok, so you can subtract the fiber from total carbs. I have a question for you then. A friend of mine is on Atkins, and she buys the Atkins Morning Start bars. I was looking at them the other day and the box says this.

Total Carbs - 13g
Dietary Fiber - 6g
Sugars - 1g
Net Carbs - 2g

How do they get 2 net grams out of 13g total and 6g of fiber?

*It could be worse...you could be on fire*
alletsarret #288206 01/17/07 07:43 PM
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
OK, you have entered the mysterious world of sugar alcohols. This only applies to manufactured diet foods, it's not something that happens in nature smile

Sugar alcohols are not actually sugars, nor are they alcohols. They are a type of carbohydrate that don't fit neatly into any of the sub categories on a nutrition panel. Most people subtract these out of the total carb value, just like with fiber. Unfortunately for dieters, the sugar carb total is just lumped into the 'total carbs' number of a package's label, so you can't easily subtract them out like fiber.

The only way to know how many sugar alcohols are in a given total carb count is if the maker of the product tells you what the actual net carbs of the food item are, doing that work for you.

Another name for sugar alcohols are "polyols". Some common types of sugar alcohols include maltitol, sorbitol and isomalt.

Sugar alcohols are commonly used in sugar free products and diet products because they are very slow to be absorbed and do not cause the "sugar rush / blood sugar spike" that normal carbohydrates cause. Many (if not most) people do not absorb sugar alcohols at all before they pass through the system. So in essence they can give great sugar flavors without having the fat-gaining effects of regular sugars. They act like fiber, but they taste like sugar.

Such a cool, tasty result does not come without some penalty. Because sugar alcohols just slide through your digestive system, they can cause a laxitive effect if you eat too many of them. They can also cause gassiness, because the bacteria in your intestines normally don't see any carbs at all (your stomach deals with them). When your intestines run into these sugar alcohols, they go a bit crazy smile Some people get a little farty. A few people get "gastric distress" (i.e. diarrhea). If you've never tried sugar alcohols before, be sure to try them in SMALL amounts to see which group you fall into.

Do Sugar Alcohols Count?
Sugar alcohols don't cause a sugar rush, and are pretty much passed through your system. So in many ways, they are pretty much like fiber. They go in, they go out, they don't touch your blood sugar levels and don't turn into fat. You could discount them when figuring out the 'net carbs' on a food item.

But a few people DO have problems losing weight when they eat too many sugar alcohol products. Part of the theory is that their tongue tastes sweetness - and that they are still so sugar-addicted that just the TASTE of something sweet causes their body to react as if they DID eat something sweet. Exactly how or why this works, I'm not sure. But I do know people personally who stall when they eat sugar alcohol products. If they stop eating them, they lose weight again. So I would be cautious about eating too many sugar alcohols. If you find yourself stalling, remove them again and see if it has any impact.

Some people complain - if sugar alcohols cause problems, why use them? Why not just use Splenda and other sweeteners? It comes down to the technical aspects of baking. Splenda is cool - but it simply isn't sugar. There are types of cooking and baking where Splenda does not react well. These are situations where sugar alcohols work *perfectly*. So for the 99% of the population which doesn't have reactions to sugar alcohols, these products are great. If you're in the 1% that has tummy problems with sugar alcohols, you can eat the sugar-free items Splenda can be used to create. For example, sugar alcohols are commonly used in sugar free candies because they mimic sugar so nicely in the baking process.

In general, sugar alcohols and any artificial sweeteners are good ways to wean yourself off of sugar - but remember that the end result of this process should be aiming to reduce your sweet tooth in general. You should be filling your daily meal plan with healthy foods, not with sugary substitutes. So be sure to eat sugar alcohol items only occasionally, and stick with the healthy foods and meats that should be the bulk of your diet!

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum

Moderated by  Lisa LowCarb 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.