logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#287729 01/14/07 11:44 AM
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
Seems I lost track of time just a little. But here I am again now, and here is this week's article:

Hope and Nothingness

Jenna Sawyer
Atheist/Agnostic
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Gecko
Gecko
I read your article and it is very well written... I have alluded to it in another forum topic "A Question for Non Belivers"

JESUS DOESN'T HOLD UP A STANDARD, HE HOLDS UP A MIRROR AND SAYS REFLECT ME!
Jenna Robinson
Bella Online Bible Basics
E
Koala
Koala
E
And I attempted to answer your question there smile Not sure if I would have succeeded, so I'll add here that when someone believes in something no amount of proof, debate, or persuasion will change that unless that person is ready to change their beliefs; in the same way when someone doesn't believe something and has a conviction around that topic, the proof has to be solid and incontravertible to change their mind.

Jenna S - I liked your point about "making" yourself believe something. That was my childhood when I was told I would go to hell if I didn't believe, so I tried to make myself believe. It's hard work, actually, and not a lot of fun, especially for a confused child and teenager. You may understand what I mean when I say, when I finally accepted the truth I felt the most overwhelming relief and freedom, and hope and excitement for a future that didn't involve lying to and deluding myself.

Elle Carter Neal
BellaOnline Alumna
N
Parakeet
Parakeet
N
Excellent topic -- very well done.

Baby Name Blogger & Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
Thank you.
And, yes, I do understand the confusion of forced belief. I was lucky enough to not have it pressed on me, at least not from my mother (it was, however, a different issue with other members of my famiy). It never caught with me at all, but I have watched so many people battle with it, and, most especially, battle with the guilt they felt for following what made sense to them instead of what they thought they were supposed to believe.

Jenna Sawyer
Atheist/Agnostic

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.