logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#28647 10/28/02 04:59 AM
OP Offline
My gouldian finches live indoors and i cant get them to wash? Do they like a bath or should they be sprayed with water or is there another method of hygiene they could use.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
M
Koala
Koala
M
Most birds will take a quick bath sometime during the day if water is available to them. Many will just use their water dish. They seldom get wet enough that you would really notice it though, so perhaps you just don't realize that they are bathing. If you are sure that they aren't bathing in their dish when you aren't around, you an certainly give them a list misting with a spray in the morning or early afternoon. Do not get them soaking wet though - just a light spray. Birds are constantly preening and cleaning themselves.

Mavis
OP Offline
Thanks Mavis, I will try the bath again and see what happens.

I had parakeets for many, many years and had never seen any of them bathe - but I always put in a bathtub in the bottom of the cage and then left it there for a week. It would get dirty. So undoubtedly they did use it the first day and I just didn't see, and then they didn't use it at all after then because it was dirty.

With my current 3 parakeets, I now put the bathtubs up on top of their cage and fill them with fresh, warm water when I let them out. Often they'll go straight for the baths and splash around quite happily before settling down to preening.

P. Pureheart
Gecko
Gecko
My Gouldians wash in the water dish, but don't care for spritzing with water (my other finches love it!). However, I don't think they took up bathing until after they spent some time in a community cage with other types of finches (they picked up lots of new tricks from that experience). They aren't as fond of water as my other birds. The zebras get excited as soon as they hear me turn on the garden hose :-)

Anne
Fashion Jewelry

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.