logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
P
OP Offline
P
Hi all,

I am brand new to gigging. I've only performed live twice, and each time just a few songs but I am having a problem and am desperate for some advice!

My problem is that when my digital piano is hooked up to a PA system it sounds as if it is out of tune. Its a very strange and off putting experience but basically, if I hit a key anywhere around the middle of the piano the sound that comes back to me through the speakers sounds perfect, but as I move further away from middle C, its as if the sounds go out of tune.

So, a middle C comes back to me as a C, but a C higher up the scale starts to sound like a D, and this gets worse the higher (and presumably lower) I go.

Does anyone have any ideas about this? I know for a fact that the notes arent out of tune, its just how I am perceiving them.

Do I just need to adapt to this or are there some common tricks used by gigging piano/keyboard players to over come this? For example, Ive been thinking about an earpiece connected directly to the digi piano, or a small monitor, etc. The digi piano I use was not that expensive and therefore doesnt have a line-out, so whilst it is connected to the PA the piano itself returns no sound to me at all, all I hear is from the PA.

Please please please help! :-)

Steven

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Hi Steve

That sounds like a strange problem alright. It sounds like the tuning is set to a strange mode or something, although on a cheap keyboard this is not usually an option.

Tuning variations that change as you go up and down the board are possible (I have one here on a Korg Wavestation) on some 'boards. Double check that your tuning is set to standard 440 A before you go any further.

When you play at home, are all the notes and chords in tune as you move around the board? What is the make of your 'board?

I would recommend that you get yourself a monitor of some description for stage work whatever the solution turns out to be. At the least I would suggest you go with the headphone/earpiece idea. You mentioned you would rig up a monitor maybe? What output would you connect this to and how do you connect to the P.A.?

Try use this connection out to connect to a small keyboard amplifier or a powered monitor, and mic up the amp sound to the P.A.

You seriously should consider upgrading to a better keyboard if you are getting into the gigging end of things. If you need a good piano sound, try Roland - very good keyboard pianos.

An old secondhand Roland JV30 has some great piano sounds and you could pick one up cheap enough I'm sure. It's got all the standard pro features for gigging such as inputs/outputs/midi etc.

Write back to us on it and good luck with the gigs.

David

Hi all,

I am brand new to gigging. I've only performed live twice, and each time just a few songs but I am having a problem and am desperate for some advice!

My problem is that when my digital piano is hooked up to a PA system it sounds as if it is out of tune. Its a very strange and off putting experience but basically, if I hit a key anywhere around the middle of the piano the sound that comes back to me through the speakers sounds perfect, but as I move further away from middle C, its as if the sounds go out of tune.

So, a middle C comes back to me as a C, but a C higher up the scale starts to sound like a D, and this gets worse the higher (and presumably lower) I go.

Does anyone have any ideas about this? I know for a fact that the notes arent out of tune, its just how I am perceiving them.

Do I just need to adapt to this or are there some common tricks used by gigging piano/keyboard players to over come this? For example, Ive been thinking about an earpiece connected directly to the digi piano, or a small monitor, etc. The digi piano I use was not that expensive and therefore doesnt have a line-out, so whilst it is connected to the PA the piano itself returns no sound to me at all, all I hear is from the PA.

Please please please help! :-)

Steven

Moderated by  Sabira - Musician Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.