Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
Ruth Sattler RN, freespirit86, Desertdiva11, marisara, Jacque Miller
56979 Registered Users
Forum Stats
56979 Members
417 Forums
112485 Topics
794885 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 11:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
Rosie 66 854
Beetlemess 724
Karm - SW USA Editor 293
Val FictionWrit/RomanceBk 221
Nancy Roussy 182
Ro Longstreet-Wicca 155
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 125
Allyson - USACook/HomeCook 120
Linu 114
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 91
Ad Income Supports Charity
Page 1 of 240 1 2 3 ... 239 240 >
Topic Options
#286003 - 12/29/06 03:01 AM The Goddess
Linda, Philosophy Editor Offline
Gecko

Loc: Connecticut
Belief in the Great Goddess was a common thing during pre-Christianity days. Matriarchal societies flourished and the Earth was seen as The Great Mother, the provider of all things. In every culture there are remnants of the Goddess, even in Christianity within the wisdom of Sophia. In many Eastern cultures, the Goddess is still seen as a guiding force. Why is it then, that in our Western culture we can easily relate to a male deity and the patriarchal attitudes that accompany that belief and yet not believe in a feminine counterpart? Can you believe that divinity may take the shape of a woman? Can you relate to a female deity as well as a male deity? Why? Why not?

Love and Light..

Add The Goddess to Twitter Add The Goddess to Facebook Add The Goddess to MySpace Add The Goddess to Del.icio.us Digg The Goddess Add The Goddess to Yahoo My Web Add The Goddess to Google Bookmarks Add The Goddess to Stumbleupon Add The Goddess to Reddit
#286004 - 12/29/06 06:09 AM Re: The Goddess
AnaMaree Offline
Shark

Loc: Washington State
I relate more to the female, giver of life... it takes both. I cannot comprehend that one is greater than the other, they are just 2 parts of a much larger whole to me...

Add Re: The Goddess to Twitter Add Re: The Goddess to Facebook Add Re: The Goddess to MySpace Add Re: The Goddess to Del.icio.us Digg Re: The Goddess Add Re: The Goddess to Yahoo My Web Add Re: The Goddess to Google Bookmarks Add Re: The Goddess to Stumbleupon Add Re: The Goddess to Reddit
#286005 - 12/29/06 06:41 AM Re: The Goddess
Modern Woman Offline
Wolf

Loc: India
Quote:
Belief in the Great Goddess was a common thing during pre-Christianity days. Matriarchal societies flourished and the Earth was seen as The Great Mother, the provider of all things. In every culture there are remnants of the Goddess, even in Christianity within the wisdom of Sophia. In many Eastern cultures, the Goddess is still seen as a guiding force. Why is it then, that in our Western culture we can easily relate to a male deity and the patriarchal attitudes that accompany that belief and yet not believe in a feminine counterpart? Can you believe that divinity may take the shape of a woman? Can you relate to a female deity as well as a male deity? Why? Why not?

Love and Light..

In India, female deity is respected as much as male. Rather more.

Add Re: The Goddess to Twitter Add Re: The Goddess to Facebook Add Re: The Goddess to MySpace Add Re: The Goddess to Del.icio.us Digg Re: The Goddess Add Re: The Goddess to Yahoo My Web Add Re: The Goddess to Google Bookmarks Add Re: The Goddess to Stumbleupon Add Re: The Goddess to Reddit
#286006 - 12/30/06 04:03 AM Re: The Goddess
MeSheWolf Offline
Amoeba

Loc: Oregon
If there were no female we would not know what male was. It boggles the mind to think that some would actually deny that in everything there must be an equal and opposite, but it happens everyday. Yes, I believe in both a male and female diety. (By the way, I'm an open minded Christian/Wiccan). LOL... Just don't tell my local church!

#286007 - 12/31/06 12:58 AM Re: The Goddess
Gecko

My lips are sealed MeSheWolf. Even the Unitarian Universalist Church that I belong to had problems when I arrived and immediately taught "Cakes for the Queen of Heaven" a course about the Great Goddess. And, on top of that I started a CUUPS (Covenant of Unitarian Universalist Pagans) chapter. It has been a couple of years now and they finally are beginning to understand that we are not Satan worshippers and that the Pentagram is not a sign of the devil. Now, they actually miss it when we don't begin our meetings with the benediction to the Great God and Benevolent Goddess. Love and Light..

#291730 - 02/10/07 04:31 PM Re: The Goddess [Re: Linda, Philosophy Editor]
texasdave Offline
Shark

MeSheWolf,
There are no Christian wiccas. One cannot serve two masters.

Abortion is murder of a child and the rape of its mother

#291738 - 02/10/07 05:33 PM Re: The Goddess [Re: texasdave]
Gecko

That might be one opinion of the matter lovelove.. I am sure there are many others.. Love and Light...

#291824 - 02/11/07 12:38 PM Re: The Goddess [Re: Linda, Philosophy Editor]
texasdave Offline
Shark

O.K. spirituality, then explain how one can follow Christ and be a wicca witch when the Bible clearly says witchcraft is wrong? How can you be true to both? Please explain.

#291826 - 02/11/07 12:46 PM Re: The Goddess [Re: texasdave]
Gecko

I am not a Wiccan/Christian, but I have friends who are, and I do not discount their right to believe as they do, nor do I attempt to explain it. I do not judge, nor do I question. I hold their opinions of belief to be valid and correct for who they are. That is called respect and honor... and that is part of my belief system.

Love and Light...

#291906 - 02/12/07 12:20 AM Re: The Goddess [Re: Linda, Philosophy Editor]
texasdave Offline
Shark

I knew you were referring to your friends. I don't call that respect and honor. I call it silly. No one can be a Christian wicca. There is no such thing. Jesus said we cannot serve two masters so if you serve wicca then Christ is not your master and you are , therefore, not a Christian. That is not judgement. It is spiritual discernment.

Page 1 of 240 1 2 3 ... 239 240 >

Moderator:  Debbie-SpiritualityEditor 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
New Game - Collectibles!
by Ro Longstreet-Wicca
Coin Collecting
16 minutes 0 seconds ago
New Game - Hobbies!
by Ro Longstreet-Wicca
Candlemaking
18 minutes 8 seconds ago
New game
by Ro Longstreet-Wicca
History
19 minutes 10 seconds ago
Shopping at Walmart Game
by Ro Longstreet-Wicca
Home Finance
22 minutes 41 seconds ago
Word From Last Letter Game
by Ro Longstreet-Wicca
Contests & Sweepstakes
26 minutes 31 seconds ago
Daily World Peace Group Meditation
by Susan - Meditation Editor
Meditation
28 minutes 51 seconds ago
Planning to schedule monthly online meetings...
by Angeles F. - Spanish language Host
Spanish Language
Today at 12:42 PM
Is access to water a human right?
by Andria B - Human Rights
Human Rights
Today at 10:47 AM
Sandwich du jour
by Connie - ADD/Sandwiches
Sandwiches
Today at 10:39 AM
Planning Safe Vacation Fun with ADD
by Connie - ADD/Sandwiches
Attention Deficit Disorder
Today at 10:36 AM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 167 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.