Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
bertinglebra, ostabest, spoodle22, KaylaWa, Marie Stroman
57465 Registered Users
Forum Stats
57465 Members
417 Forums
113604 Topics
806755 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 07:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
"Rosie" 438
Nancy Roussy 225
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 114
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 65
Jana - Creativity Editor 62
Mona - Astronomy 58
Beetlemess 49
Sandra Investing/HFinance 48
Susan - Meditation Editor 39
mary-tea1 18
Ad Income Supports Charity
Page 2 of 240 < 1 2 3 4 ... 239 240 >
Topic Options
#291913 - 02/11/07 07:34 PM Re: The Goddess [Re: texasdave]
Linda, Philosophy Editor Offline
Gecko

Loc: Connecticut
Back onto the topic of The Goddess. I am fascinated by the Hindu Goddesses cdmohatta. Especially the concept of Shakti and Shiva. Like the Hebrew Goddess Sophia or Shekinah, Shakti is the vital life force that weaves through all things. The Goddess is perhaps seen as a more approachable deity, a sort of buffer between the people and the Creator. I guess as mothers we can understand that..<smile> Love and Light..

Add Re: The Goddess to Twitter Add Re: The Goddess to Facebook Add Re: The Goddess to MySpace Add Re: The Goddess to Del.icio.us Digg Re: The Goddess Add Re: The Goddess to Yahoo My Web Add Re: The Goddess to Google Bookmarks Add Re: The Goddess to Stumbleupon Add Re: The Goddess to Reddit
#291948 - 02/11/07 11:14 PM Re: The Goddess [Re: Linda, Philosophy Editor]
Deanna Joseph Offline
Elephant

Loc: Southern California
Hi Linda,

It's easy for me to relate to a masculine diety because I was raised in a christian tradition. Adding in the "mother" aspect was a wee bit strange for me at first, but as I got used to the idea I liked it better and better. A few years ago I read something about the Shekinah aspect of God and something just clicked. Now a mother-father-God makes perfect sense to me wink and I cannot imagine my view of God not containing a great mother aspect.

And I LOVE your articles!!!

Add Re: The Goddess to Twitter Add Re: The Goddess to Facebook Add Re: The Goddess to MySpace Add Re: The Goddess to Del.icio.us Digg Re: The Goddess Add Re: The Goddess to Yahoo My Web Add Re: The Goddess to Google Bookmarks Add Re: The Goddess to Stumbleupon Add Re: The Goddess to Reddit
#292701 - 02/14/07 08:44 PM Re: The Goddess [Re: Deanna Joseph]
Gecko

I can't help but wonder why people cannot recognize the Goddess aspect of the Earth itself. When I see the new life coming up through the snow even in February, I am amazed at the complexity of this beautiful planet. The Earth knows what to grow, when to grow it, and how to nurture it. Isn't this a lot like motherhood?

Many religions see the Earth as not being alive or worthy of respect and honor. I see the Earth as being the means that keeps us all alive. Without the Earth we could not exist. I don't know what a Great Creator may be.. know one does. We can only guess.

But, I can see the Earth, I can feel the Earth, and I KNOW that it exists as our sustainer and our provider. And, because of that we should give her the love and honor that we are so quick at times to give to an unknown Creator.

Love and Light..

#292726 - 02/15/07 04:00 AM Re: The Goddess [Re: Linda, Philosophy Editor]
Alexandra Offline
Zebra

Loc: Verulamium, England
many years ago, I asked my Catholic Parish priest - a dear friend - to explain to me the concept of the Holy Spirit. I just couldn't get my head round it - Jesus, yes, God, well, ok - but where does this 'Holy Spirit' come into it?
His response bot surprised and delighted me.

"she", he said, "SHE is the Love that flows between."

Inspite of my views having changed, and my having chosen to follow a different path, his words still resonate with me as an acknowledgement of the Feminine alongside the Masculine.

#292848 - 02/15/07 02:09 PM Re: The Goddess [Re: Alexandra]
Gecko

Wonderful lesson Alexandra!

The Goddess never really left us. She has always been there in all of the religious teachings. We see her as Sophia, Shekinah, Mary, and especially in Gaia, the Earth.

She is and has always been the tread that weaves through
everything.

In Jeremiah 7;17-18 God speaks to Jeremiah saying;

�Do you not see what they do in the cities of Judah and in the streets of Jerusalem? The children gather wood and the fathers kindle the fire, and the women knead the dough to makes cakes to the Queen of Heaven and to pour out libations to the other gods, in order to anger me!�

He tells Jeremiah that if the people do not stop this worship and turn only to Him, a great catastrophe will befall them.

Their answer? �When we poured out libations to the Queen of Heaven, we had enough to eat, we had no war, and when we stopped doing that we went hungry and we died by the sword and through famine.�

#293011 - 02/16/07 12:34 PM Re: The Goddess [Re: Linda, Philosophy Editor]
texasdave Offline
Shark

They were angering him because the queen of heaven is a false god. There is only one God and He calls Himself, Father.

Abortion is murder of a child and the rape of its mother

#293013 - 02/16/07 12:36 PM Re: The Goddess [Re: texasdave]
Alexandra Offline
Zebra

Loc: Verulamium, England
God is a mysoginist - ?!?

#293054 - 02/16/07 04:34 PM Re: The Goddess [Re: Alexandra]
texasdave Offline
Shark

God is genderless. He refers to Himself as "Father" because of His dominating qualities are in the masculine realm. He is describing Himself in a way that we can more easily understand. Actually, the combination of male and female qualities combined are a more accurate description of God's image." Let us create man in our image" refers to both feminine and masculine qualities. Remember we are a reflection of HIM not the other way around.

Abortion is murder of a child and the rape of its mother

#293108 - 02/16/07 10:42 PM Re: The Goddess [Re: texasdave]
Gecko

Actually Lovelove, The old Goddess based religions were around thousands of years before Christianity was even thought of. The matriarchal societies were peaceful and community based. Women and children were highly valued and respected. They were no threat at all to the Christians.

But since the God of the Hebrews was a Rabbi, his opinion of women was Rabbincal based. And, since the newborn Christians based their entire basis on the book of the Hebrews, it is not surprising that between the two.. women became seen as unclean, responsible for all the sins in the world, and inferior to their male counterparts.

God, the Rabbi demanded that these unclean, Goddess worshipping women be punished for their sins. Temples to the Goddess were viciously demolished and people who refused to turn away from their peaceful societies were brutally punished.

The Goddess represented the Earth and it's cycles, the moon, the tides, the sun, the crops, the harvest, and community. What is wrong with that? What crime had the Great Goddess committed to bring the self righteous wrath of the Biblical God upon her?

Women are more than half of the world's population, and yet we are still not totally seen as being as intelligent, capable, and worthy as our male counterparts. We still bear the old dogma of a long gone civilization as a mark of sin.

If some women still wish to bow down at the feet of a God that considers them to be second best, unclean, the bearer of grief to the world, and subserviant to men... let them do so.

As for me, I refuse to honor that type of God. If I will not honor or respect a man who treats me with that kind of disrespect.. why would I honor a deity that thinks of me that way?

#293129 - 02/17/07 12:11 AM Re: The Goddess [Re: texasdave]
Modern Woman Offline
Wolf

Loc: India
Originally Posted By: lovelove
God is genderless.

I agree with you about above. I know it to be true.

He refers to Himself as "Father" because of His dominating qualities are in the masculine realm. He is describing Himself in a way that we can more easily understand. Actually, the combination of male and female qualities combined are a more accurate description of God's image." Let us create man in our image" refers to both feminine and masculine qualities. Remember we are a reflection of HIM not the other way around.

Page 2 of 240 < 1 2 3 4 ... 239 240 >

Moderator:  Debbie-SpiritualityEditor 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
Winter Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy
Astronomy
Today at 02:17 AM
Neurotic November Book Review
by Edie - MysteryBooksEd
Mystery Books
Yesterday at 08:35 PM
Great iPhone 6 and 6 plus accessories
by Ewa - Photography
Photography
Yesterday at 05:19 PM
Need help identifying the artist / location
by Art Appreciation
Art Appreciation
Yesterday at 03:26 PM
Fischbild (1925) by Paul Klee
by Art Appreciation
Art Appreciation
Yesterday at 03:23 PM
Cosmic White Christmas *new*
by Mona - Astronomy
Astronomy
Yesterday at 11:10 AM
Warm and Cozy Holiday Muffins
by Jana - Creativity Editor
Home Cooking
Yesterday at 09:17 AM
Half a Century of Writing!
by IH8FMS
Journals
Yesterday at 09:15 AM
Daily World Peace Group Meditation
by Susan - Meditation Editor
Meditation
Yesterday at 08:46 AM
New Review: Home Alone!
by Rick - Funny Flicks
Comedy Movies
Yesterday at 08:12 AM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
0 registered (), 58 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.