logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
My next article(s) will revolve around being less critical of yourself and others. It's something I struggle with personally - I'm way too judgmental! - and in learning how to be more gentle with myself, I want to encourage others to do the same.

Any tips on how to be less critical? Not just body image, but at work, with your kids, when you throw a party, when you're with your relatives over the holidays....

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Being less critical is almost as simple as your abc's.

a - activating event
b - belief
c - consequence (sad, happy, angry, frightened)
d - dispute
e - effect

The activating event determines the outcome, but it is our belief that determines the consequence.
If we believe that we are stupid and we make a mistake, we will believe that we have failed because we are stupid.
If we change our belief and see what we are doing as a learning process, we will still be happy. It may not have worked, but because we have changed our belief, we persist and try something else.

If you dont like the consequence, you can dispute it. Then we have an effect, whether desired or not.

So if you find yourself being critical, examine your beliefs about yourself. If you can learn to love yourself and change what you believe about yourself, you will become less critical.

Wolf
Wolf
Here is something I do. when I become very critical of myself, I tell myself that I forgive you. do not worry. Do not bother. Everybody makes mistakes. after that I touch my body with love. It helps me to some extent.

Shark
OP Offline
Shark
How do you deal with your inner critic? This article, http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art40192.asp How Your Inner Critic Affects Your Body Image, discusses how the critic arises and how it affects you.

My next article will involve dealing with your inner critic. So -- how do you live with criticism, from yourself and others? I'd love some "real" feedback!

Thank you cdmohatta and sandy 22 for your suggestions :-)

Thank you

Shark
Shark
I say a sincere prayer and tell myself, its now how many times I've fallen on the same ground but how many times I managed to stand up everytime I fall

Wolf
Wolf
To be less critical of others- be more compassionate.

Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Since I posted this, I've been alot less critical! Imagine that. Maybe just getting it out there was what I needed to subdue those critical feelings.

That's what's great about discussion forums :-)

I'm noticing my critical thoughts when they pop into my head, and letting them go. It's like, "Oh. I think he should do this not that." And then it fades away. It's cool.

C
C
It's easy for me to be less critical of others...I just say that no one can judge unless they were in the same position.No one is perfect.
yet,I CAN be highly critical of myself. Sometimes have a good cry and then I feel fine.

I try to remember when someone was "understanding" of me, or something I did wrong/bad/not popular. I try to use graciousness, being grateful that I was accepted, and try to do the same. It's hard for me sometimes, my family has pretty much been "I am right!" and it can be inherited... unfortunately.

Andrea B.
taburl@yahoo.com
You Are What You Think.
[url=www.MySoyBox.org]www.MySoyBox.org[/url]
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
I don't know what I was talking about in my earlier post, about becoming less critical of myself! Just last night I kicked myself for an hour for saying something in a group that I was worried would be misperceived or hurtful.

I HATE when I do that to myself. I want to just let things go, lighten up.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Nadine - Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.