logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
I've been reading tons about Betta and Ghost Shrimp. I ran across a comment (just one in all my reading) about it being easy to think you're buying a Ghost Shrimp (is transparent just like Ghost Shrimp, at first) when in fact you're buying some kind of prawn.

Have a Ghost Shrimp in with your Betta and think the Betta's safe? Are you SURE it's a Ghost Shrimp? You'll see why I stress this when you click the link below.

We put 2 Ghost Shrimp <erm?> in with our Betta last night. I couldn't sleep. I was nervous, protective of the Betta. The largest of the 2 GS is a bit more than an inch and the Betta's still on the smallish side.

Well, I ended up taking the GS out of the Betta's tank and putting them into their own little tank about 4:00 this morning and, boy, am I glad I did because 10 minutes ago I ran into THIS...

http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic...016c46729d4d40d

She's having trouble getting them out of her tank now because they are so fast and she has 7 of them!! The prawn are definitely not community tank material!!

For those who love their Betta and fish, it might be a really good idea to keep the GS seperate until they're big enough to show their true self (their color changes). You'll see and read all about it at the link.

I think this should be spread around. It's a small chance maybe that you end up with a prawn but it's not a chance I want to take! I don't know how big an adult Tiger Barb is but from the pic it looks bigger than my Betta!

((Everyone))

Sponsored Post Advertisement
P
Amoeba
Amoeba
P
Where did you buy your GS from?

Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
From PetSmart.

I have them in a seperate tank now. Will wait until they've grown enough to ensure that they're GS before considering putting them in with the Betta.

P
Amoeba
Amoeba
P
If they're from Petsmart then they are GS. Petsmart knows what they sell.

Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
They do still look like just GS but I've fallen for my Betta and since I tend to go to extremes, I don't dare add them for a month or so and when I do, I'll put a lil tank inside the 10 gal and let the Betta get used to them first that way for a little while.

He seemed so stressed when I added them and he didn't calm down the whole time they were in there...about 10 hours. He just got over being sick too.

I'm really happy with PetSmart so far. The 1-800 number peeps are really helpful and knowledgeable. I shared that url (prawn eating tiger barb) with one of the reps today and she was so grateful and anxious to share that information with coworkers and customers.

She was as shocked as I was about the GS impersonator/mistake.

((PaPeRo))

Moderated by  Mary_Betta_Fish 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.