Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
Orchid, bonding99, davidearly, SusieGG, OSTSEE
58341 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums417
Topics119,314
Posts846,658
Members58,341
Most Online410
Feb 3rd, 2018
Top Posters(30 Days)
Sponsor
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#280546 - 11/12/06 07:40 PM URGENT... Etiquette for visiting terminally ill  
qoe2u Offline
qoe2u  Offline

Need help...

A very dear friend is in the last stages of cancer, and her death will be within the next couple of days.

I will be going to see her in her home shortly and need advice on what to do and NOT do. Our relationship is good, no unresolved issues.

Do I talk of about our friendship? Do I talk about the joy she has given me? Do I tell her she can 'move' on? How do I try to peace to both of us? Do I take a small token, plant, or item for her or her caregiver? What would be the proper etiquette for this situation?

I am so dreading this visit as it will be as time I will she her alive.

Help!

Queenie

#280547 - 11/12/06 11:48 PM Re: URGENT... Etiquette for visiting terminally ill  
Chelle - Marriage Editor Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chelle - Marriage Editor  Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee

Lake Lanier, Georgia
I would just take my cues from her. If she wants to reminisce then go for it, if she is frightened about what is to come - then comfort her, etc.

Just remember she is your friend and go in treating her as such - not like she were a china doll or a stranger that you had never met. And try not to be the first to start crying. I realize that may be difficult, but you don't want to put her in the position of comforting you.

My prayers and condolences go with you.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
#358020 - 12/05/07 07:48 AM Re: URGENT... Etiquette for visiting terminally ill [Re: Chelle - Marriage Editor]  
Maxwell Offline
Gecko
Maxwell  Offline
Gecko

Australia
Hi qoe - I'm so sorry to hear about your friend - it's a difficult time.
My SIL died last year from cancer - we flew interstate three times to visit in her last months. She knew the end was near but greeted us cheerfully - we were apprehensive before we arrived but decided we would arrive the way we always arrived - with wine and chocolates. We talked about all the things we'd normally talk and laugh about - she wanted our BIL to take a photo of us all sitting in her garden - she also, wanted the wine open and enjoyed a small glass. I think it was a break from the "illness" - there was no talk of death or cancer - she did talk about her treatment and drugs briefly.
So, I agree you should take her lead - but I also, think it's a good idea to treat her normally and not like a person with cancer.
We knew our goodbyes and kisses at the end of the last visit were probably the last - we didn't want to get upset and risk upsetting her - she squeezed our hands and thanked us for coming such a long way to visit her. We managed to avoid tears because she was so strong and in control - she died a few days later.
If you haven't seen your friend for some time I'd get an update from her carer - just so you're prepared.
It's a difficult time.....I'm sure your visit will be appreciated.

#358024 - 12/05/07 08:37 AM Re: URGENT... Etiquette for visiting terminally ill [Re: Maxwell]  
Skeeter Offline
Shark
Skeeter  Offline
Shark

Idaho, USA
I think both previous posters hit this right on the head. From my past exp. I have seen that most often the terminally ill don't really want to think about their illness when you are visiting. They want to remember good times, and try to have one more good time while they are still able too.

Unless you normally would bring a gift when you went to visit her I wouldn't this time. It's hard but you just have to treat it like any other visit you have ever made to her in your life. Be prepared but try not to show it.

Skeeter

"Militi Succurimus".."We hasten aid to the soldier"

Moderated by  Decorum-Is-Key Lisa 

Brand New Posts
Pegasus the Winged Horse *revised*
by Mona - Astronomy. Astronomy
02/22/18 09:56 AM
2018 - Keep an eye on the sky
02/22/18 09:32 AM
What will you do today?
by Mona - Astronomy. Inspiration
02/21/18 11:28 PM
Nebulae
02/21/18 11:24 PM
Canis Minor – the Lesser Dog *new article*
02/21/18 11:09 PM
Oscars - 1st Female Cinematographer Nomination
by Angela - Drama Movies. Drama Movies
02/21/18 09:22 PM
Sewing and E-Patterns
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor. Sewing
02/21/18 08:59 PM
What are you looking forward to today?
by JOY (Self Development). Self Development
02/21/18 08:41 PM
2018: On this day . . .
02/21/18 08:40 PM
What Are Your Priorities?
by JOY (Self Development). Self Development
02/21/18 08:37 PM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Mona - Astronomy), 154 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Sponsor

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2018 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.