logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
E
OP Offline
E
Hello everyone, I am new here, and I have what I consider to be a big problem. I am obsessed (!) with a celebrity. It started out as just mild interest and gossiping but it's now gotten way out of hand. I am a 47 yo professional woman w/a busy job and home life. This problem is embarassing! I can't admit it to my closest friends or even my doctor. It's the kind of thing I would expect out of a teenager (no offense to teens here). Has anyone else had this & what should I do to cure this???

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Amoeba
Amoeba
Check out this article written by Lisa Angelettie. She has some great ideas here and it may be helpful for you. It also might help to actually talk about why you are concerned about your behavior. What do you do, how are you thinking. Sometimes being able to verbalize this will allow you to see something you haven't before. http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art28512.asp

Carissa Vaughn Mental Health Editor
E
OP Offline
E
Thanks,Carissa. I have read this article before but will print it off and carry it with me!! Why am I concerned about this? Well,it monopolizes my thoughts, and it's a dead end - I know I should be more interested in my own life but I can't seem to get anything going. I wish there were a support group for people like me..

Amoeba
Amoeba
That is a fantastic idea actually! Here are some results I found for starting your own, from other articles I've read online you are definitely not alone.
1. http://add.about.com/c/ht/01/06/How_Start_Support_Group0991535632.htm
2. http://mentalhelp.net/selfhelp/

I like the second one best because it gives online options for those with busy schedules. Let me know if you do it! I think that would be a really awesome opportunity for you if you do.
Blessings!

Last edited by Carissa_MentalHealth; 10/10/06 02:48 PM.

T
T
I too have this problem and I'm relieved to hear from someone else. I'm like you, I would never tell anyone the extent of my obsession, although most of my friends and family know that I have some what of an interest in this person. I devote way too much time to various thoughts about him and not enough time to living my real life. I would love to hear more from you about this, let me know if you find or form a self-help group because I would love to get involved.

E
OP Offline
E
Oh, you sound just like me!! I went to a counselor once but was just too embarrassed to admit it! If you don't want to discuss it on the board, feel free to PM me. I am going to look into the links that Carissa told us about, also.
Its such a relief to hear I'm not alone!!

Well, I just read the article, and quite frankly I think it's a lot of guilt producing bunk! The way those questions are set up, you can't but help but seemed flawed. Does the guilt for your "obsession" stem from someone (a husband or boyfriend perhaps) who may be jealous that you have an interest other than just being "ordinary" or being constantly at their beck and call?

I don't see that you have a problem other than the guilt. Does the guilt come in here because someone else is trying to put that trip on you?

Quite frankly, I am tired of seeing women stereotyped in such a way where celebrity admiration is concerned. Why is it that men can have an interest in sports or something else (like strippers) and they're not treated like they have a mental illness but god forbid if a woman lets herself enjoy some fantasy time about an "unattainable" celebrity?

As long as you choose to keep things in perspective, it's not a problem. I am 45, and for the past 34 years, I have nurtured a celebrity "obession" and I've no wish whatsoever to be "cured" of it. Why? Because I love it, it makes me feel good, and if you took my so-called "obsession" from me and told me I have to be "realistic" (read BORING)....you'd have one upset lady on your hands...and IMO it's better to be interested in the stars than spending time overreating, smoking, drinking, doing drugs, constantly complaining, nagging others or cheating on your partner, right?

There is a positive side to admiring celebrities. It brings a spring to your step, a smile on your face, and something to look forward to. Yes, I do have a full and busy life with family and friends...so just having that time to "escape", turn back the clock and feel youthful and giddy is a godsend in my book.

For me, this 'obsession' with a specific pop/rock star has been a good thing, and I credit this particular celebrity for giving me the inspiration to be creative and pursue the career I had always wanted to pursue and couldn't just cuz of so-called "realistic" parents, teachers, conformist friends and an ex-spouse who held me back all those years. I am currently preparing to cut a CD of my own original songs, and I've even lined up local gigs. No, I probably won't be as famous as the object of my "obsession" but I'm doing what I want...being creative...and that's what matters.

This part Spring, I actually met my "obsession" face to face in an appropriate sanction setting (on a VIP soundcheck pass) and was able to tell him how much happiness he's brought into my life and how he inspired me to pick up guitar again after setting aside a year before, and how I am now a singer and songwriter thanks to his example all those years ago. BTW he seemed to appreciate what I said to him.

So I say, don't be embarrassed. Just lighten up and enjoy those flights of fancy...then determine how you can incorporate "star quality" into own life. That's the "cure" not hunkering down into some cheerless "reality."

As for that one question about would I want to live somewhere else indicating a celebrity obsession...that is a crock. Sure, I'd love to live in Beverly Hills, Bel Air or Malibu, but let's face it, it's not feasible so I bring BH or Malibu into my own life in the Northwest where I live, by making things special...what's so wrong with that? I dress and carry myself as the "rock star" in my own life...and you know what? People here love it because I'm upbeat and positive...maybe that's the "cure" for all fullness and busyness. Look for your inner celebrity? Works for me!

Last edited by starbaby; 10/17/06 01:26 AM.
E
OP Offline
E
Well, starbaby, you obviously didn't read our posts as both I and terribean both stated "I devote way too much time to various thoughts about him and not enough time to living my real life. " that's a quote from terribean's post which says her problem better than I did.
Just because you are happy w/your life & your decisions doesn't mean everyone else is. But it's the differences between us that make things interesting.

Amoeba
Amoeba
A good point again Elizisme2 ~ for starbaby, if you're happy with you, satisfied and don't feel there's a problem then great! That's how we all want to feel and be secure in. No one is condemning anyone here - we ALL have our obsessions over things. But if one personally feels that they need to reorganize priorities/thoughts in order to feel better about themselves or just to have room to focus on other things, then I believe that shows character and responsibility. I commend the step and support it.

Oh, I read the postings all right....and there was no condemnation intended. I was merely offering another equally valid perspective, that's all...

but apparently, this is a group that is NOT open to other viewpoints.

I still don't think there's nothing wrong with you.

Last edited by starbaby; 10/18/06 06:09 PM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.