Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
E
OP Offline
E
"I still don't think there's nothing wrong with you.'

I lost 45 lbs last year when he & his girlfriend broke up. I get up during the night and check the gossip sites to see if he's made any news. I check his official website at work when I'm supposed to be working, even when I'm on the phone to people! I get physically sick and can't eat when he goes out drinking and clubbing... I think more about his childhood than I do my own.... I care more about his personal life than I do my own... I've spent a lot of money on his stuff- dvds, CDs, souvenirs, memorabilia (even when it's terribly overpriced). I have a collection of over 100 CDs that are filled w/things downloaded from the internet about him... I'd rather think about him than listen to or deal w/my family... I can't be comfortable if I am away from my PC because I check on him several times a day...

I appreciate that fact that you, Starbaby, don't think there's anything wrong w/me, but you don't know me enough to really understand what I'm going through...

Sponsored Post Advertisement
T
T
Starbaby I can see your point, and I think it's great that your c.b. has caused you to be inspired to make some good decisions for your life. I would never tell someone else to get over their obsession if they don't think it's adversely affecting their life. Mine, on the other hand, is pulling me away from real things I should be thinking about. I think of him every spare moment, even at work when I'm walking down the hall to go to the restroom! I think it's harmful and abnormal FOR ME. And I think my fantasies cause me to miss out on any chance I would have to find love with a real man, because of course no one can compare to my c.b. and how he treats me in my fantasy. In my mind he is perfect in looks and actions, but I know in real life he's just a guy like any other, with good qualities and faults.

Just my 2 cents,
Terri

Wolf
Wolf
Quote:
Hello everyone, I am new here, and I have what I consider to be a big problem. I am obsessed (!) with a celebrity. It started out as just mild interest and gossiping but it's now gotten way out of hand. I am a 47 yo professional woman w/a busy job and home life. This problem is embarassing! I can't admit it to my closest friends or even my doctor. It's the kind of thing I would expect out of a teenager (no offense to teens here). Has anyone else had this & what should I do to cure this???

Do you think of this celebrity as a perfect person?

E
OP Offline
E
No, I don't think of him as perfect, he's just a very special guy. I know he has faults and all just like everybody else, but I can't stop thinking about him...

Last edited by Elizisme2; 11/08/06 06:12 PM.
E
OP Offline
E
Hello again!
I just wanted to see if there was any interest in getting this thread started again. I met a wonderful person through this discussion, we have been able to help each other quite a bit w/our celeb issues. But I am still having issues and just wanted to see if anyone else out there is having problems like this?

I
I
I am curious about why this happens actually.
I have celebrity crushes, such as Denzel Washington, George Clooney and the like. I enjoy their movies, I swoon watching them, I tune in to see them interviewed.
But ultimately to feel more for them I would have to project onto them my own sense of what I want them to be, for how they TRULY are is a mystery to me.
I think celebrity obsession is escapism, and is also a way of channeling feelings into someone unobtainable in an effort to avoid real world relationships. I would liken it to people who obsess over online " lovers" who are 99% fabricated by our own slant on who we want them to be.
The question is less to ask what they offer you that you can learn to resist, but rather " what am I avoiding by tying my kite to their string?"

E
OP Offline
E
^ A very good point you make! I agree with you, that it is a form of escapism. And, I guess the solution is to work on putting more things in my own life so that I will focus less on the celebrity.

I have made some real progress, can't believe it's been so long that I've been struggling with this! I think it arose after I had some pretty bad personal traumas, and it was a way to just get away from stress in my life. I am still dealing with the aftermath of this, and I have noticed that when things go wrong in my life (I was recently laid off), my celebrity obsession comes back but never as bad as it was. Thanks for everyone trying to help me out!

E
ecs Offline
E
hi, im a teenager, 18. and just today i typed in how to cure a celebrity obsession and this came up so i decided to sign up.

i have had this problem for years obsessing over celebrities but most recently its been this couple of celebrities.. and its gotten to the point where its so bad, that i find myself acting out their lives sometimes... it doesnt help that the celebrity posts video blogs all the time.. this doesnt help when im doing my hsc exams at the moment.

i really need some help and ill read the rest of the posts on here to a greater extent. but yeah as the first poster said it does get to a point where you get so lost in their lives that you loose sight of yours.

its been good to be able to open up about this.. i find it difficult to tell anybody how much of a problem it really is.

D
D
Dear Elizisme2, I am new to this site. I realize you wrote this question about two years ago. If you have solved your problem--great. I hope a celebrity obsessed person reading this post, will be able to get something out of this. Many so called professionals who deal with celebrity obsession also deal with at least 100 other mental health issues. They are also people who work on theory and not individuality. I only deal with celebrity obession. You could call me the Dr. Ruth or Colonel Sanders of Celebrity obsession. "We treat celebrity obession right." My credentials are simple, I wrote two books on the subject, I spent 6 years as a teenager obsessed with David Cassidy, later I spent 6 years obsessed with John Travolta. Then, I decided to figure it all out. Someone told you about a woman who had a list about celebrity obsession like,Do you exercise regularly or do you watch a lot of television? That's fine at some stage, but not at the beginning of trying to find out about your celebrity obsession. If you had early symptoms of a heart attack, do you stop watching televsion and exercise more , or do you go to the doctor for a check up? Celebrity obsession is not something to get rid of, it is to be understood. It is not a problem unto itself, but more of a symptom. If you keep getting severe headaches you don't expect aspirin to cure it. You need medical attention. Here is the "medical treatment." The first thing on my list is about when you first realized you were obsessed over a particular celebrity. I remember when I was about to work on "So You Want To Be A Rock n' Roll Bride". I didn't want to tap into my teenage self because I knew all she wanted to do was talk about David Cassidy. It worked out. It became fun. My obsession began when I was reading a book about television shows. I came upon a picture of David in which I had a psychic experience concerning David's discomfort with his celebrity. Rereading that part of the book from time to time, I can see that there was a parallel between David's new found celebrity and my being a special needs teenager. Later on I was obessed with John Travolta for six years. I read a biography which was written in interview style. He described Scientology " It helps you to [b]understand [/b] yourself and someone else-- and when you can do that you can deal better with them and [b]understand[/b] what's going on. " These two examples represent my issues being a special needs teenager and not being understood. Very important. It doesn't matter if John really would have understood me or not. What is important is that I wanted him to. Now I can just deal with those two issues. I don't really have a celebrity obsession anymore since I understand it now. Now I just have issues that came out of those past obsessions to work on. Once you get through the first exercise, you will clearly understand what your celebrity obsession was all about and begin to work on that. You might find you need further education or to join some type of workshop. I decided to join an assertiveness workshop and then I went back to college to get a degree in English. The latter has to do with the third exercise, the celebrity fantasy portion. I love what I did with the David Cassidy character. I still have a lot of work to do on myself since I have to knock down many many years of the poor image that I have as a disabled person. I am working on my third celebrity obsession book which is about what to do once you are diagnosed. If "So You Want To Be A Rock n' Roll Bride" diagnosed my celebrity obsessions, maybe the third book will cure me of what led me to the obsessions in the first place.

M
M
Hi, I know this is an old thread but I'm going through exactly the same problem as this right now and I'm finding it very hard to deal with. I'm doing all the right things, I've tried to cut them out of my life, I have an appointment booked with a therapist but it's still driving me to despair because I'm still completely obsessed with this person. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.