logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#270763 09/23/06 11:56 AM
Tspins Offline OP
OP Offline
I am very confused about the high number of views, and the low number of replies here. Does everyone just want to read and not to get involved? I am shocked by the number of views for the subject of how often do you spin and the actual replies.
Also 9 people have viewed my introduction, but nobody has said hello?

Just curious about this? Perhaps I am misinterpreting things.

T. Van Hoecke

Join my MN craft and chat group if you are from Minnesota.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mn_craft_n_chat/
Sponsored Post Advertisement
#270764 10/10/06 06:39 PM
P
P
Hi, Tspins! I'm also a newbie, both to the group and to spinning. I've been a knitter since I was 4 and always wanted to spin. My instrument of torture is an Ashcroft Joy and I have a very love/hate relationship with it. It's a lot like...well I bought the gym membership and the gear...how come I haven't lost weight?!! There are no spinning classes in my area of Southern New Jersey so I guess I'll have to learn through osmosis.

#270765 10/10/06 07:40 PM
Tspins Offline OP
OP Offline
WOW someone is actually around here! I thought for sure this board was a ghost board.
How long have you had your wheel? I just got my first wheel last Wednesday and I am already working on my second bobbin. Not sure if I can help in any way, but I know that what helped me a ton is to have someone turn the wheel manually for me very slowly so I could draft the fiber and only think about that, Once I got that movement down, I practiced treadling alone till I could get the wheel moving very slow and then I just combined the two movements and it was like magic. I was so afraid I would struggle along, but here I am, spinning up a store.
I am not sure how much support you will get here and would suggest another board to check out if you haven't already.

http://talk.pixiepurls.com/index.php

It is a very new, wonderful spinning forum.

T. Van Hoecke

#270766 10/12/06 12:52 PM
A
A
Hi there! Welcome to the addicting world of spinning and fiber! I've got a Jensen Tina II. It's wonderful! I had the luxury of learning to spin in a fiber studio. One of the best things we did at first was start with pencil roving. This way you don't have to draft, or do very little. This allows you to get a feel for the wheel and how the fiber is spinning. I've also learned that there are several ways to "draft". Now that I'm spinning some baby alpaca, and it doesn't have the same barbs as wool, I am drafting from a fold. I take the staple (length of fiber) and fold it over my index finger, holding it with my middle finger and thumb. You draft from the top of the folder. It naturally forms the "V" and for slippery fibers it gives me a better hold. Hope this helps and Happy Spinning!

#270767 10/13/06 08:38 AM
C
C
Most of us are busy spinning. ;-) And yes, it's not a very active board.

#270768 10/15/06 09:35 PM
P
P
Wow, three people on this board, I'm overwhelmed!! Tspins, I got my wheel on last Friday and it's a new adventure for me. My goal is to make a Shetland wedding ring shawl from fleece to finish, but I'm spinning thick-n-thin merino. Great yarn for a sweater but not what I want for lace work. Oh well.... I'm having fun doing it. Someone told me that perfectionism is not a good thing in spinning... It's weird to put down a cobweb suri alpaca lace work to pick up mega bulky stockinette cap I'm knitting with yarn I just spun. The reward is there but I WANT PERFECTION!!!
The Ashford Joy is pretty neat, if someone with absolutely no experience or direction can produce something resembling yarn at the first attempt I'm impressed by the workmanship and design.
As to what I'm spinning. My first attempt was with a targee/merino blend, very soft 19-20 micron and had a fairly long staple. The next was a "moorit" (I thought that just meant brown) roving, the staple was shorter but the wool was more harsh. The moorit seemed to spin easier, but what do I know. Anyway I'm having fun. It is almost as relaxing as knitting except I have to watch what my hands are doing.

#270769 10/16/06 08:55 PM
Tspins Offline OP
OP Offline
It is a bit overwhelming but so enjoyable.
You goal to make a shawl sounds wonderful.
I am overwhelmed with the idea of plying, I have 2 bobbins ready, but am sorta chicken to do it.
Holding out, till I have not bobbins left and I must do it. hehehe

Anyway, if you are looking for a more active board, I would suggest
http://talk.pixiepurls.com/index.php

Annie has popped on over there. Being a newbie I need lots of support and there doesn't seem to be much action here.
Hope to see you over there.

T. Van Hoecke

#270770 10/16/06 10:43 PM
P
P
Go on, give plying a try. It's the only thing keeping my yarn together sometimes! The "textured" yarn you get looks quite impressive even if you were trying to make a lace weight single!

#270771 12/12/06 06:59 AM
J
Amoeba
Amoeba
J
Hi i am in Australia i have been spinning for 5 years now. I have a marjarcraft Suzie wheel and a few other older wheels. I also crochet and loom knit.I am a newbie here to only joined a couple of nights ago. HI !

#270772 01/03/07 09:23 AM
S
S
Hello. I've been spinning a while too. My preferred tool of the trade is a Jensen Saxony production wheel. I love to knit and have been for 15 years or so. I also sew and have a really great time with all things fiber-y. The only thing I don't have and wish I could is a flock of sheep.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.