Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#270140 09/20/06 05:57 AM
A
aliu88 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Because of the boring office time and depressed mood, I eat more and more and begin to put on weight quickly. I did not pay attention until one day I came across John and fell in love at first sight. In order to restore my slimness, I have been on diet for a couple of weeks. My friend told me her secret recipe. You can eat as much meet and fish as you want, but no rice, no bread, no sugar, and the absolutely necessarily is half a grapefruit after every meal. Oh, we may discuss it in detail next time if you are interested.

Besides, yoga can make a woman more pretty, so I�d like to learn yoga. However, I have no gears, and my friend suggests me http://www.opentip.com/catalog/Yoga-1_9231_9232.html. They look very nice and cheap, but I don�t know which ones to choose. Shall I only buy a ball, a mat or a whole kit? It seems the yoga kit has a better price.

Also, do you learn yoga from a teacher or simply learn by yourself by a book and video? I learnt dance for several years in my childhood, so perhaps some books and videos are enough to me? I hope we can exchange more useful information here, that's why I join in today.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
J
Koala
Koala
J
I bought some videos and kind of mix them. However, I have to tell you, if you take a class you'd probably be more motivated to stay with it. Go to the local YMCA or a rec center. There are yoga centers around too. It will give you confidence and make you feel much better about yourself and life.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Yea, she's right...what you really need more than anything is a good teacher. Try out a few different styles and see what pace you prefer. Other than that, I almost never use props. Get yourself a thick mat and forget the other stuff. After practicing for a while with a class, you should be able to develop a home practice. Good luck!

Melissa Demiguel
French Culture Editor

"If you are lucky enough to have lived in Paris...then wherever you go for the rest of your life it stays with you, for Paris is a moveable feast."
Ernest Hemingway
A
A
I have the Yoga for Dummies DVD. It has a beginners practice and an intermediate one. I like it because she goes really slow and explains everything.

I bought a few DVD's off Ebay..... I really liked one, I found It was a good pace for someone who didn't know much, I let my sister in law borrow it after she had her baby and haven't gotten it back yet. I have always wanted to take a formal class, I think that it would motivate me, if I could get over the embarassment of doing yoga in public

Parakeet
Parakeet
The biggest pitfall for beginners is thinking he or she has to do every asana exactly as it is portrayed in books. It takes time to develop one's own routine.

Jim Colyer Yoga
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

J
Koala
Koala
J
I love the CD's by Rodney Yee and Patricia Walden. They go through a great routine from start to finish with a voice over so there's not a lot of starting and stopping for explanations. They kind of fit in what you need to know as part of the narrative. The scenery is beautiful too. They're very relaxing.

I agree, it takes time to develop the balance the the feeling that what you're doing is natural. However, over a short time, your body begins to feel great all the time, not just when you're doing the yoga.

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
I also think Rodney Yee is great, however my favorite trainer is Mark Blanchard. He has a series called Progressive Power Yoga, The Sedona Experience. Type it into the search engine. You don't need to spend money on anything but a mat.

He is a gentle and amazing trainer who is responsible for training celebs like Jennifer Lopez and Andy Garcia (see his site) I started working out as a beginner with his system from the privacy of my home. It wasn't easy but completely changed my body by burning fat and increasing muscle tone.

Rebekah Mack Bono
Beck's Lavender Boutique
E
E
The only thing a beginner really needs is instruction. Without proper instruction you will not be practicing yoga properly so you won't get the most out of it.

By far the best way to get instruction is by finding a yoga center. Do some investigation to find a good teacher, and try a few different styles to find one that suits you.

If you prefer to try in the privacy of your own home first, you can learn from videos. Happily you don't even need to buy one. There are services now that provide libraries of streaming yoga videos online - and they offer free trials so you can try it out to see if you like it before you spend anything. I personally prefer BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.