logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#268993 09/15/06 06:21 PM
OP Offline
Background: My hair is naturally strawberry-ashy blonde. I dyed it black for years, but had the color stripped 8 months ago. Then had chunky vanilla colored highlights put it. Kept them until a couple months ago. Dyed over them with an medium ash color. Realized mistake; hair turned green in a few places. Was then toned to a nice golden-tea color. Faded into a lighter shade of golden brown since then. Recently had very thin cap highlights done in a lighter color (10-15% of hair), but to be honest, they hardly show up.

I have medium to thick hair that is medium-textured underneath, but the top layer (canopy) is a little dry, coarse and somewhat frizzy. Oh how I would love for the top layer to match the underneath! It's naturally wavy/curly depending. I used to blow dry and flat iron, but now only use a diffuser for wave enhancement. I currently have no split ends due to cutting several inches off. It now touches my shoulders.

I want my natural hair color back. Well, as a base, at least. I don't think I could ever just have one solid color. My hair grows incredibly fast and I don't have time to deal with my roots as much as I used to. Although the color of my hair now is much lighter than a year ago, my roots still grow even lighter. I need to do something to blend the roots with the existing hair though. Cutting shorter isn't an option- I will be starting a clinical nursing practicum in a few months and my hair will have to be slicked back and tidy when at college.

I am planning on getting more highlights to match the roots, and then as that grows out, throw in a few darker ones that match my artificial base to keep things blending well. Does this sound like a good idea?

Last time I got highlights, I felt that they burnt my hair some. Meaning little hairs have broke/melted off, resulting in a few flyaways. I know this is probably because we bleached over areas of my hair that were already bleached underneath the new base color, so I'm nervous about doing it again. Is there anything I can do to avoid or alleviate that either before hand or during the bleaching process? Also, how likely is it that the stylist will be able to match the new highlights to my roots? I feel like in the past, everytime it is "matched," it turns out very white, which my hair is definitely not.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
With as much color as you have had on your hair, I'm surprised that you only have a few hairs broken or melted off. YOu must have strong hair.

To get the best results in your new highlight, use a protein condition several times before going to the hairdressser. That's a treatment, not just a conditioner. Make sure your hairdresser knows the whole history of your hair. It sounds like your tinted and stripped all over hair is only grown out about 4 inches. Maybe 5 or 6 if your hair grows really fast - so all the hair after the first 4 to 6 inches is going to be very fragile.

If you go to a hairdresser who is very experienced with haircolor, she or he should be able to match your new growth.

This is the best protein treatment I know of.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.