Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#265303 08/27/06 01:39 PM
L
lozpop Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I am ashamed and afraid to say this but I haven't had my hair cut for a few years now.

This is due to health reasons but I really want to ge tmy haircut now but I am worried that I will need alot cut off because of split ends.

My hair is now about waist length, how much do you think I will have to have cut off?

If anyone could help it would be much appreciated

Sponsored Post Advertisement
#265304 08/27/06 03:07 PM
Amoeba
Amoeba
I post on a lot of forums where people are growing long hair and many of them do not trim very often and some wait a few years like you.

There are some things to consider though. As far as trimming hair there are only two reasons to ever cut hair.
1. You have damage on your hair that you want to remove to prevent it from spreading further up.
2. To reshape your hair or make it shorter.

In both cases no matter what a stylist tells you it is still your choice as to how much gets cut off. Just because something bothers a stylist it doesn't mean it's bothering you. Yes damage can spread but if you don't want to cut it all at once you can cut some now and cut some later.

Have you been using any perms or colors or other harsh chemicals in the past few years?

Have you used any hot irons, blow dryers, or other hot tools and if so how often?

Do you think you need more than 1 or 2 inches trimmed?

Do you have split ends or damage higher than 2 inches from your ends? If yes is it a lot or do you think you could trim those hairs yourself?

Many people with long hair do sessions where they take a pair of good scissors, preferrably meant for hair, and they will go through and snip off the split ends. I realize that that sounds overwhelming if you've never gone through your hair strand by strand but I have a method that makes it easier.

First get yourself a piece of paper or a notebook or something you can write or type on. Then write down something like this. A calender could work too.

Right
Left
Top back
Bottom Back

You are going to be working on just one area of your head at a time. Lets pretend that you are using the 4 sections above. The first week you only do hairs on the right side. the next week only left. and so on. Then after you get through all 4 weeks or whatever number you have you start over again.

So lets say this week is Right side week. You have a whole week to do nothing but work on that side. If you have clips or bands or similar you can section your right side into smaller sections. Then you can do the right front first. Then the right middle. And so on. If you use the sections then you can stop and then return to that section later. Even if you have to take the clips or bands out and go do something else.

When you go through the hairs if you see a hair that you think is split or damaged snip just that hair above the damage.

If you follow this process for a few weeks you might find that when it comes time to do the same area for the second or third time that it's really hard to find any splits or damage. That will be because you got most of it. But don't panic if you do see some still. Just get rid of them.

Now since you have the higher stuff being trimmed off you can go to a stylist and get just the small regular trim such as 1/2 to 1 inch.

If you don't want to take a chance on a stylist talking you into more than you asked for you can try this method that many longhairs use.

Feye's Self Trimming
http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com

I've used it myself for a few years. Just be sure to use hair scissors or shears and when you try that method for the first time only try an inch or less. That way if you do need some fixing it won't be too bad.

If you are sitting in a stylist's chair remember that you are the boss. If they cut more than you asked do not pay. If you do not already have a stylist then call salons and specifically ask for a stylist who will listen to you and do what you ask. Or visit the salons and ask the stylists. Many salons offer free consultations. This is a chance to talk to a stylist about your hair without committing to a service. If you go to a consultation and you feel pressured at all then they probably should not be your stylist.

Hope this helps.

#265305 08/27/06 03:26 PM
L
lozpop Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Hi thanks for the reply x
I have normal straight hair, iv never dyed my hair or used straightening irons. I only use a hair dryer every now and then, most times I let my hair dry naturally. My hair does look awful at the moment and thats why I desperatly need it cut.
Quite alot of it looks damaged and generally frizzy so I tend to put it up in a pony tail as wearing it down it looks awful.

I'm not sure about cutting it myself, id probably make a mess of it.
I think I might look up for a mobile hairdresser so they can come to my house as i feel very vunerable and anxious in a salon.

#265306 09/05/06 11:31 AM
Don't be ashamed you haven't cut your hair in years. I only get a micro trim once a year. For your dry ends, you could try diluting your shampoo and using a nozzle applicator bottle to get the shampoo right to your scalp and not on your ends. Cover those ends with a cone free (usually vo5) conditioner first, then when you rinse the shampoo, it will glide over your ends without drying them. You can also apply a bit of conditioner to the ends once you finish washing. Most co's can be used as a leave-in, if used in moderation. Apply a dab of conditioner on the ends before bedtime. I do this, and only get one hairtrim a year and I have no split ends now.

[imageBellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.