logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Shark
Shark
I am not a coach so I have always wondered
Is it considered rude to ask a coach for proof of their success in the area of coaching. I see a lot of people who are getting coaching from people who have not done what they wanted to do and I cant figure that out

Dr. Letitia S. Wright,D.C.
Prime Time TV Editor/Host
www.bellaonline.com/site/primetimetv
Sponsored Post Advertisement
B
B
Hello Letitia,
No, it is not considered rude to ask a coach about their credentials. In fact, a good coach will be pleased that you are taking the hiring of a coach seriously enough to ask. There are two independent coach certification organizations: the IAC (International Assn of Coaches) www.certifiedcoach.org and the ICF (International Coach Federation) www.coachfederation.org

As you may know, certification is not required for coaches (although it is a plus). There are many excellent coaches who are not IAC or ICF certified, but asking a prospective coach about their certification, training, experience, and references is just good business.

I happen to be a certifier for the IAC; if anyone would like more information on coach credentials please don't hesitate to contact me through my website www.becomeacertifiedcoach.com

Last edited by BarbraSundquist; 02/20/05 01:44 AM.

Barbra Sundquist
Coach and Author
OP Offline
Hello! My name's Sara and I am new to the forum. I was so excited to see these posts because I have been considering being a life coach. What sort of qualities would you recommend a person have for being a life coach? Also, where would i begin to find classes or training in the field? Do Life Coaches need a certification kinda like counseling? As you can see, I am very new to this profession!
Have a beautiful day!

[imageBellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
Amoeba
Amoeba
Hello. I have researched a lot on life coaching. if you go through http://www.fearlessliving.com/ you can search for someone to talk to.
i can also help you once i get my computer back from the shop as i have tons of links on where i found info. you might want to do a search on Life coaching.
MY problem is i want to be a lifecoach but yet focusing on being a diabetic specific lifecoach.
too many diabetics get the disease and know nothings. Drs don't treat the other parts of your life that affect the disease. sad.
please keep in touch

flowr
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
~W.B. Yeats ~
Zebra
Zebra
Hello Sara, and welcome to the forum....

You don't actually specify how old you are, but in my view, nobody under 50 should train to be a life coach, because the one valuable thing anyone younger lacks, IMHO, is Life EXPERIENCE. I personally would hate to be 'life-coached by someone young enough to be my daughter....Until they have few miles under their belt, I'm likely to take their recommendations with a hefty dose of salt, I'm afraid.

You might like to consider this aspect as part of your decision-making precedure..... That's if you're under 50, of course.....!

In any case, best of luck with what you do....

BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
Hello. It's great that you want to be a Life Coach. And yes there is training involved and a certification process. If you want to learn more about accredited training programs as well as more general info about the profession - go to http://www.icf.com. This is a very important and essential site to the profession. I did my training at the Institute for Life Coach Training, but it is a school for people who were already helping professionals - I am a psychotherapist (http://www.girlshrink.com). And last but not least - you do not have to be over 50 to coach someone on improving their lives, their business, their relationships. Coaching is different from counseling and actually life experience has never been a requirement for either - just a bonus!

Much Success!

Last edited by Lisa_Angelettie; 08/30/06 03:20 AM.

Lisa Angelettie MSW
BellaOnline Depression Editor
Are You Depressed?

#437437 07/22/08 12:34 PM
L
Shark
Shark
L
Starting from scratch. What college classes/degrees are needed? Additional training? How long? I grew up in a cult and I want to be able to help people who have left situations like I did in practical ways. I considered Exit Counseling, but I want to help people live with the their decisions to leave more than make the decisons to leave---know what I mean? I knew nothing about living in society when I left and had to learn it all the hard way, I want to provide access to resources I didn't have. Especially about making spiritual decisions after a cult and self-esteem issues. But where do I begin?

Se non potete resistere al calore, allora esca dalla MIA cucina.
LadyLvsNyt
L
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
L
Greetings:

Congratulations on your decision to research life coaching! Currently there are no official requirements to become a life coach. Some coaches use their life experience as the basis for their practice. They help themselves first, formulate a program then help others. Then there are other coaches who do have specialized training. If you do a google search on "life coaching training" lots of schools and training programs will be listed.

There's also the International Coach Federation:

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Last edited by leahmullen; 07/23/08 08:34 PM.

LEAH MULLEN
LIFE COACHING

Gecko
Gecko
I've heard good things about International Coaching Federation too (ICF for short) if I lived in America I would go that route so I reccommend it.
I live in the UK (England, United Kingdom) and any life coaching courses that are ICF accredited seem to be full time (I work as a teacher and want a course I could do part time.) Maybe in the future a better option will open up for me.

I leave the child-rearing to people who feel called to it. I've never felt that call.
L
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
L
I know there have been a number of people asking about coaching certifications.

Barbra Sundquist, Coach and Author, provides an excellent explanation about whether or not you need to be certified, what the difference is between receiving a certificate of completion from a coaching program and being certified by an independent certifying body.

She also explains the difference between the two certifying bodies—The International Coach Federation (ICF) and The International Association of Coaching (IAC).

Just click here or the link she provides in the post above. The link to the audio explanation is right on her home page.

LEAH MULLEN
LIFE COACHING

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  leahmullen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.