Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#263870 08/20/06 09:33 AM
R
OP Offline
R
Doesn't anyone make quilts by hand anymore? I was taught to piece, applique, embroider quilts by hand in 1979, and still make my quilts that way. I'm finding it rare to see anything about making quilts in this fashion. Some women put them together on the machine and quilt by hand.

When I begin a quilt, I enjoy the relaxation of taking my time with it. I'm not in a rush to whip out four quilts a month or produce a quota (those who make quilts for a living might). I quilt because I love the craft and the reminder of an earlier era. I realize that there is a new generation of quilters and quilting has been reborn, but we are losing the art of handwork that young girls grew up with in generations before us. I'm 61 years old and hope to be quilting for many years to come. I'm just wondering if there are other hand quilt makers out there????

Sponsored Post Advertisement
#263871 08/20/06 03:35 PM
M
M
I aspire to be a quilter, but haven't gotten down to doing anything just yet. I have the books, the material, the needles, all the stuff......just need the spirit to come upon me so that I can begin.

#263872 09/22/06 11:48 PM
D
D
Yes I do, when I am not in a hurry to make something and just want to take my time. I actually prefer to hand piece, much more relaxing. I was thinking that I may do a Dear Jane, or Quilted Diamond Quilt by hand. I feel with all those little pieces it would be easier by hand then machine. The hand piecing seems quicker than the hand quilting.
By the way I live in New Zealand, where abouts are you?

#263873 09/25/06 02:59 PM
A
A
I would like to do a quilt entirely by hand some day. At this point in life, though, I know myself: I'm super at starting projects, not so good at finishing. I fear that if I started to hand piece a quilt, I would never finish it.

And I have one, nagging question about hand piecing: how do you maintain a consistent seam allowance? It seems like that must be the hardest part!

#263874 10/20/06 04:54 PM
R
OP Offline
R
I'm in San Antonio, Texas. Wow, New Zealand is beautiful country!

Hand piecing is my method of choice as well. It is very relaxing. I don't aspire to make a quilt a week, so there is no need to rush. I cut my pieces out and get everything ready and keep it by my chair. In the evening when my hubby and I are together, I enjoy working on my blocks and just relax. Perhaps that's why I delay putting the tops together, because that requires more time/effort, LOL. But seriously, even doing that is fun for me. Hand piecing/quilting allows me to spend time in the same room with my hubby instead of off somewhere sitting over a machine.

I maintain a consistent seam allowance by using a quilter's quarter which I bought at my local quilt shop. You can find them in quilt magazines or online as well. I mark the 1/4" seam allowance using the qq, on all of my pieces, then match them up using pins when I begin to sew. I check the backside occasionally to make sure I'm on target. Makes it nice and smooth.

#263875 10/25/06 05:00 PM
K
K
My husband and I are actually teaching a group of boys and girls how to quilt, and everything we are doing is hand stitched. I think it teaches them paitence and that not everything is instant gratification. We are all really enjoying it. Old fashioned is not a bad thing!

#263876 11/09/06 02:44 AM
I make quilts by hand also. My husband is always wanting me to get a machine and do them with it, but I tell him, I would not enjoy making quilts with a machine. I enjoy every aspect of hand made quilts. I used to watch my grandmother and aunt quilt, and my mom also makes them by hand. I don't want to learn any other way. I have been making them off and on for the past 20 years...It is a joy! I have given them to my kids, sisters, and friends as gifts..I like old-fashioned things and the old way of doing many things. Quilting is my art form. I like picking out the pattern, or deciding on my own version, choosing the colors and materials...and watching it all come together. It is good to see someone else who likes the old-fashioned way too...happy quilting!! [color:"blue"] [/color]

'If you see someone without a smile...give them yours'.
#263877 11/09/06 04:51 PM
Q
Q
I feel the same way that you do. However, I enjoy the craft so much that I no longer have the flexablity in my wrists so if I want to continue I use a machine and then I take them out to be quilted.

MARCIA GIBSON
<a href="QUILTING@BELLAONLINE.COM" target="_blank">QUILTING</a>
#263878 11/09/06 08:05 PM
I am thinking I may have problems with my right wrist before long...but I also play word games on the computer..I love the pogo site, and I play word whomp a lot..so between sewing and using the mouse and keyboard...Oh well...I will enjoy it as long as I can.

'If you see someone without a smile...give them yours'.
#263879 11/18/06 06:14 PM
K
Amoeba
Amoeba
K
I too enjoy doing quilts by hand. I don't know how to use a cutting wheel or any new gaget. By the way what is a quilters quarter? I just need scissors, template needle and thread. I will be looking for a thimble to cover my index finger It has permanent dead skin which I keep filing down but it comes back. nothing I do is done very fast and now that I am retired I am in a slower mode. maybe I am just lazy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Judie Quilting Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.