logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
I am one of those crazy eclectic pagans... smile

but I do have one thing, earlier in the thread someone said shamans and referenced Native Americans. Not all Native Americans are shamans. Shamans are like the preachers of the the Native American society. But not all tribes have a shaman. There are elders, and medicine wo/men, but not necessarily shamans.

And tho I love Jase's line of "all witches are pagans but not all pagans are witches", that doesn't fit here either. Not all shamans are Natives and not all Natives are shamans.

Last edited by Botanical Bella; 09/07/07 10:40 PM.

Wendy Lee
Houseplants Editor
Click here to read the story of our foster dog, Colbert.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
M
M
I identify myself first as a Witch, an Eclectic Solitary, ... with strong influences from the Green & Hedge Witch "traditions" and, thus, with a deep interest in shamanism. I do not refer to myself as Wiccan because that definition implies to me a religious practice and/or affiliation that is not part of my life. As it is said, many Wiccans are Witches, but not all Witches are Wiccan. I do understand referring to one's self as Wiccan even though one doesn't follow a strictly Wiccan practice since some of the definitions of wicca include "witch". And, after all, as noted in another post the religion of Wicca, itself, has a wide range of Traditions whose beliefs and practices sometimes conflict with each other.

To me, Pagan seems to be a sort of catch-all for most of the non-mainstream religion folks. By that definition then, I am Pagan. Identifying as a neo-pagan versus a traditional pagan seems to note that the neo-pagan accepts that traditional paganism cannnot be fully reconstructed, but I'm not really sure what else it represents to set itself apart. Pagansim is full of such a beautifully diverse and colorful peoples that I suppose trying to define them except in extremely broad terms would be futile <g>.

Let my Circle extend to the stars and forever ....
L
Parakeet
Parakeet
L
I think it depends on if its a Christian labeling someone a pagan, they use the word pretty liberally to cover anyone they feel is not on "their side".

I call myself a sun worshipping pagan just to annoy them.

L
Parakeet
Parakeet
L
Originally Posted By: freebubbles3
Well I look at it this way Jehovahs Witnesses try to convert Prodestent christians and they try to convert Mormons and Catholics....Everyone has to convert someone some how...
I have found that there are christian pagans andchristian Witchs and Christo wiccian andwhatevers who are cast out from the pagan and wiccian group as well as the Christian groups so what makes Pagans and Wiccans any better or more open the Christians?

My point is people are jerks no matter the religion or lack or religion we are ALL prejustice to some point...

Why blame a religion (or lack or religion) for bad behavor? I think when people grow up and realize that if some one else wants or needs to believe in a three eyed blue and green poka dot bakini wearing oreo cookie and it does not hurt that person or anyone else and they let them do it, people will grow up and tkae responciblity for what they say do think or belive we will all be better off!!!

I like to know what religion other people are because 1 I love other religions and learning about them and 2 I dont want to say something stupid!!! for example: give a Birthday present to a Jehovahs Witness because they do celaberate birthdays or have a dinner party with ham cream potatos and rolls and invite a Jewish Family over for dinner. or ask a christian to join a coven. While it is done with the best of intentions... Its a matter of respect and understanding!

anyways I will get off my soap box now!!

Yes but you must admit that some religions are MORE likely to try and shove their ways down others throats then others. For example, I have NEVER had the Catholics come to my door trying to tempt me to come to their church. I have never had them accost me in public like so many others.

I agree that everyone suffers from prejudice but this need to catch and trap non believers is disgusting to me. I am going to turn the sprinklers on the next group that come to my house, which by the way is in a no soliciting neighborhood.

M
M

Originally Posted By: Lisa_Orlando
I think it depends on if its a Christian labeling someone a pagan, they use the word pretty liberally to cover anyone they feel is not on "their side".

I call myself a sun worshipping pagan just to annoy them.

I love it!

Let my Circle extend to the stars and forever ....
Koala
Koala
LOL point taken!

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Catholics may not proselytize in public, but they do have very set beliefs and there is no swaying them, ostracized members are not uncommon. Also, having grown up in an area where catholics are prevalent (NH aka near the border of Canada - with a large population of french canadian catholics) and being raised protestant (aka enemy religions and a major reason for the mass immigration by the irish in the 17/1800's besides the potato famine) I remember working at a flower shop where I was the only non catholic. People were allowed to punch out for mass at xmas, I was looked at funny when I said I wasn't giving up anything for lent because I wasn't catholic etc... Did I mention that it is still common for people to convert to catholicism in order to marry a catholic? It is like a little cult unto its own.

-------------------------------------------------
no offense is meant towards any catholics that may read this post....this is my experience with the religion.

On another note, we have no solicitation/proselyting signs on both our front door and mailbox. =]

Last edited by Botanical Bella; 10/18/07 03:27 AM.

Wendy Lee
Houseplants Editor
L
Parakeet
Parakeet
L
Originally Posted By: Botanical Bella
Catholics may not proselytize in public, but they do have very set beliefs and there is no swaying them, ostracized members are not uncommon. Also, having grown up in an area where catholics are prevalent (NH aka near the border of Canada - with a large population of french canadian catholics) and being raised protestant (aka enemy religions and a major reason for the mass immigration by the irish in the 17/1800's besides the potato famine) I remember working at a flower shop where I was the only non catholic. People were allowed to punch out for mass at xmas, I was looked at funny when I said I wasn't giving up anything for lent because I wasn't catholic etc... Did I mention that it is still common for people to convert to catholicism in order to marry a catholic? It is like a little cult unto its own.

no offense is meant towards any catholics that may read this post....this is my experience with the religion.

On another note, we have no solicitation/proselyting signs on both our front door and mailbox. =]

I grew up near Worcestor Mass where everyone is Catholic and there are so many Catholic schools, you can't swing a cat without hitting one.

I have NO desire to sway anyone and I actually don't care how set in their beliefs people are. I have the novel belief that they are responsible for themselves and I hope they are happy but I don't have the presumption to think that my choices are going to work for anyone else.

I just want presumptious religions to leave me alone. I thought this country was based on freedom of religion...how is it that those among the population seem to have forgotten this and taken up routinely harassing people who don't believe as they do. Thats what the pilgrims came here to get away from.

I used to work in a dental office where everyone was Catholic. We even had many Nuns, Fathers and a Monsignor as patients. I made sure I spoke with the other assistant to find out the appropriate way to address these patients, while I don't celebrate their faith, I wanted to be respectful in how I treated these people. I found them fascinating and NOT ONE bit obtrusive with their belief system, in fact the Monsignor made jokes one might think were a little off color for someone of his station.

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Unfortunately, their own "freedom of religion" is the exact defense they will take in regards to attacks that they are infringing on your freedom of religion.

And trust me, I have many fond memories of "Woosta", as well a friend going to Clark.

Wendy Lee
Houseplants Editor
Koala
Koala
interesting.... a catholic decussion in the what does pagan mean thread...........

I think all religions have there problems and pitfails and I think people tend to only think it is Christians and all that falls under that "tree" the only ones with them. I have been reading site and a lot of them put down "Fluffy Bunnies" and any other tradition or non tradistion of pagan wicca or the combo....

so in the words of Jesus: Let he who is without sin cast the first stone..........

just a thought!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Ninjahedgewych 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.