Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
F
I have been asked to knit a burial gown for a tiny prem, just 26 weeks. I haven't really seen anything online that I like. I am looking for something fairly plain and simple as the baby is so tiny and wondered if anyone might be able to help me.

Thank you and God Bless

followinghim

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
Oh I am so sorry for the parents, my heart goes out to them. I was a premature baby myself, so anything to do with these tiny babies I relate to.

I did a search online and perhaps this pattern would fit your requirements:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/stoke/my_pages/babywear/hkp/018.shtml

F
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
F
Koala, thank you but the baby is even tinier than this and I have no idea how to adjust the pattern. I am advised that the baby is about 8 " in length.

Thank you so much for your help.

God bless

BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
Maybe you could try using finer yarn than recommended and smaller needles?

F
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
F
Yes, thank you. A good idea. I have some white 2 ply. I think I I will try that and see how it turns out.

God Bless

BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
I also had a thought that it might be worth looking for little dress patterns for 8 inch baby dolls. I know that baby dolls are often rather fat and a premie is going to be anything but - but it's worth a try.

I don't honestly think a lot of extra length in the gown is going to matter because it can be tucked round Baby. But instead of the 8 inch given in the gown I'd probably knit the skirt of the gown to about 5-6 inches at the most for an 8 inch long child. Remember the head is probably going to be about a quarter of the length of the body, maybe a little more. Arms will be maybe be about the length of the torso, which probably accounts for about 1/3 of the overall length of the body. My 12 inch baby Sashas have 8 inch tummies and they're human proportioned dolls, so at a guess this child will maybe have a chest of 6 inches at the most and probably less. So a 2-3 ply yarn on 2 3/4 mm knitting needles for 2 ply or 3 mm knitting needles for 3 ply will probably be all right.

Oh gosh I'm thinking just how tiny this little baby is the poor little thing. I was a month premature and weighed four and a half pounds at birth - and my first dresses fit my 16 inch child proportioned Sasha dolls.

BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
I just found this on the Newborns in Need site - a premature baby sizing chart.

http://www.newbornsinneed.org/html/size_chart.html

Would you like me to design you something for this little child using the chart?

F
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
F
Koala

Thank you. That is very kind of you. I am not an adventurous knitter by any means. This little babe is a twin, hence her small size. She had a heart valve problem and was not growing as much as her sister. I am trying to knit the born asleep gown you recommended earlier, but using 2 ply wool. I am not too sure about how it will turn out yet.

Blessings

followinghim

BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
Let me know how things go and if it doesn't work out I'll see if I can figure something for you.

S
S
Following this interaction is inspirational. God bless you both!

F
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
F
Gillian

Thank you so much for your offer of help. I have now actually knitted 2 gowns so that the mom has a choice. I knitted the one you recommended at:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/stoke/my_pages/babywear/hkp/018.shtml and it turned out very well. I actually knitted it in 3 ply yarn to get the size I think is needed. My mother also sent me a pattern book and I knitted a dolls nightdress from this book. The pattern was for double knitting yarn but I used 4 ply and I think it has turned out fairly well, but I did leave the back open except for the 2 buttons at the top.
For anyone who may be interested the pattern book is by Sirdar and is called Guys and Dolls and the number is H117 and the design is for a dolls night dress.

I am not sure how to post pictures here otherwise I would post so that you can see what I have made.

Thank you so much for all who have helped me.

God Bless you.

followinghim

BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
Yes I have the Guys and Dolls pattern book and it's really nice.

I'm so glad that you were successful in your knitting and that the pattern turned out all right.

F
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
F
Thank you for your kind responsed. Sadly, both the gowns I made were needed.

Blessings

followinghim

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.